2018 April/May/June Update:
As you know, most of the year I publish 2 to 3 articles a day.
However, every year during convention season, I take a break from that to go full swing CosPlay.
From early April 2018 to late June 2018, article posting schedule will be sporadic, while CosPlay Season and Convention events are going full swing.
During this time period, you can expect most, possible all new articles to be focused on costume making, CosPlay, and the characters I'm CosPlaying.
It's now divided into 7 pages. The primary page "Meet Avallach" is now over 20,000 words long. At this rate, it'll cross 60,000 long before the costume is finished, and that's not including the other 5 pages. The primary page has now crossed 60,000 89,000 words and counting, the whole set of Avallac'h pages are now more than 200,000 words long, and more then 500 pictures of Avallac'h and his friends have now been uploaded on these pages, plus there are now 400+ hour-long videos f the costume making process as we record live, every second of this insanely elaborate, over the top CosPlay project.
As of May 19, just 29 days to PortCon we are embroidering his blue coat in a countdown against the clock to finish in time for the event, while we pray that The Dazzling Razzberry will be re-weilded back together and drivable in time for PortCon, after it's recent vandalism by Old Orchard Beach's ever growing Ku Klux Klan problem.
There will still be daily updates, but the BULK of the daily updates will be limited to the pages linked here:
- The Avallac'h CosPlay: Who is Avallac'h?
- Obsession: Meet Avallac'h
- [NSFW] Avallac'h & His Nude Women | Witcher 3 Game Screenshots
- Historical Accuracy vs Avallac'h (to go live later this summer)
- The Avallac'h CosPlay Costume Making Vlogs (will go live AFTER finishing the costume)
- How To Make The Avallac'h CosPlay (will go live AFTER PortCon)
- How Much Did It Cost? ($800+ will run to around $3,000) Budgeting The Avallac'h CosPlay (eing written as the costume is being made, will go live after completion of the costume)
- Why do children CosPlay rapists & rape victims? & WHY Avallac'h is a M18+ character.
- PortConMaine 2018
- On Being a Handicapped CosPlayer: A Look At Events of PortConMaine 2017 That Resulted In 3 Disabled CosPlayers Getting hurt at The Convention and How These Things Could Have Been Avoided
Your World: Creating Character Profiles | EelKat's Guide To Worldbuilding For Fantasy Authors - The Squidoo Series
Ads by Share-a-Sale
Creating Character Profiles: The Squidoo Lens
How I Create My 500 Page Character Bio Binders:
The Ultimate Character Creation Workshop
This is a mini-writing course, a series of writing exercises to help you create characters for your novels. If you decide to do the entire thing, it'll take you a month or more to write up all the answers for all the questions and exercises... provided you do them as intended and actually write 2 or 3 pages in answer to each question, and don't do what non-authors do and just write simple, blans yes/no/one-word answers.
I have gotten SOOOOOOOOO many requests for this one to be brought back online. The ultimate guide to creating character profiles, with it's mega massive 1,001 questions for you character to answer.
Way back in 2003, I wrote a blog post called "Creating Character Profiles". It was originally on my BlogSpot blog, then it was on my WordPress blog. In 2005 I used it to interview myself and create my mega massive MySpace profile. In 2006, at the request of Chris Baty, it was posted on NaNoWriMo. In 2007 it was posted on Squidoo, where it remained until Squidoo went offline in 2013.
One of my most requested articles ever, rivally Amphibious Aliens in popularity, here it is, once again on the internet: Creating Character Profiles: The Squidoo Lens Edition, complete with all it's YouTube video interruptions... damn... it may take me awhile to get this up... I have to track down decade old music videos for this. Let's see if I can find all the graphics I used on Squidoo... I've still got them all in my computer somewhere.
You can see how I have taken this writing excersise and created actual character profiles with it on these pages here:
Obviously what is in these 3 online version of their profiles is only a tiny fraction of what is found in the handwritten binder bio editions, but this gives a look inside how I write these mega sized character profiles.
Creating Character Profiles
Creating Character Profiles
How Well Do You Know Your Characters?
A character is a person about whom you write. Every work of fiction (book, screenplay, SCA persona, RPG, LARP, MMORPG, video game, etc.) has characters in it. Question is, do you as a writer, really know as much as you should about your characters?
Not many people have ever seen my writing space, but the few who have, are always interested in one thing that stands out immensely: a giant bookshelf, full of two inch thick 3-ring binders, each one holding 500 sheets of college ruled paper. There are 75 of these massive, heavy binders, all brimming full of hand written words.
Visitors who see them, their first reaction is: "So those are all your manuscripts, huh?"
ME: "No. Those are my character profiles."
"Character profiles? But... they're so big. I thought a character profile was just a page with a bio."
ME: "Not when I do it, it isn't. I've never written a character without also writing a minimum of 300 pages of character profile for them. Those 75 binders there, that's just the characters who've made appearances in the Twighlight Manor series. Even the minor characters have profiles."
People always end up wanted to know how it is I am able to build these mega massive binders of profile info for each of my characters, so I've decided to write up the instructions for what I do to create these 500 page character bio binders and how you can go about creating one for our characters too.
Keep in mind, that if you do these exercises the same way I do them, it'll take you a month or more to complete this project.
Together we shall explore the art of creating character profiles and help you create better more lifelike characters for your next story.
Why Should You Read This Lens?
- Because you need to create a new character for your story.
- Because you have a character who is "flat" and you want to "round them out".
- You have a character that you just want to give an interview too.
Profile Survey #1: The Basics
How well do you the basics of your character? Take this quiz and find out!
- What is your character's full name?
- How old is your character throughout the majority of the story?
- Date of birth?
- Place of birth?
- Male or Female?
- Current Address?
- How many brothers/sisters does your character have? Older? Younger? Which one is he/she closest to?
- What is your character's overall health like?
- What type of personality does your character have?
- Zodiac sign?
- Chinese zodiac sign?
- Lives with?
- Marital status?
- Ethnic background?
How'd you answer these? This question is important.
I'll wait while you count the pages.
If you're an author, you know, a person who write for living, you'll have no less then 28 pages written by now.
You say you ONLY have 14 lines written down on a single sheet of paper, and most of then you answered without even bothering to write a full sentance?
I'm, sorry, I thought you came here because you were an author. You claim to be someone who writes, and you can't even get 2 pages of words out of a single question?
You my friend have writer's block.
You suffer from a problem of only being able to answer in quizz talk. You need to exterminate that problem. Annihilate this blockage. Utterly destroy it by writing, a LOT.
TSk. TSK. TSK.
Go back and reanswer those 14 questions about your character. Make sure your answer for each question is no shorter then 2 pages. Try to get to 5 pages on a few of them. I'll wait.
I'll go watch some Daleks exterminate, annihilate, and destroy things while I wait...
Profile Survey #2: Lifestyle
How does your character live his/her life? Are you sure you really know? Answer these questions to find out:
Note: for each answer, be sure you can also explain why your character "picked" that answer.
- Preferred nickname?
- Current occupation?
- Dream occupation he/she wishes to do?
- Occupation he/she finds the most revolting and would never do?
- Religion raised as by parents?
- Religion now conforms to?
- Political affiliation(s)?
- Type of education received? Current education level?
- Has/wants children?
- Has/wants pets?
How does your character live his/her life? How many pages did you get for each question here? Remember this is an full fledged writing assignment. Your goal is to get your character to open up and start talking.
These answers are not supposed to be you checking off some list. You need to toss in another character and have you profile character actually ANSWER the question. Let them go off on tangent, rambling. You want real conversation here.
You should be able to get 2 to 4 pages of dialogue conversation written for EACH of the above questions.
No one word answers are accepted in these writing assignments. Remember, you wanted to know how to write a 500 page character bio, just like I did. I didn't fill up those 500 pages by answering one sentence to each question.
Profile Survey #3: Hobbies
- What does he/she like to do in his/her spare time?
- How many hobbies does he/she have?
- Are these hobbies old (from childhood) or new?
- Do the hobbies take up a lot of time or cost a lot of money?
- Does he/she follow through on the hobbies or does he/she start a lot of projects and never finish any of them?
Five questions, that you need to strive for 5 pages of answer. By the end of assignment number 3 you should have added 25 pages to your character's bio binder. Yes, 5 pages each question. 5x5=25.
And speaking of hobbies, let's obsess over Lord Sesshomaru for no reason at all, other then we are talking about hobbies and one of my hobbies is obsessing over Lord Sesshomaru...
Lord Sesshomaru: movie, anime, manga
Movie version acted out by: Jiang Yi
Live Stage Theatre version acted out by: Hiroki Sana
No. Definitely not obsessed. :P
Profile Survey #4: Likes
What does your character like? Enjoy? Love? Interview your character and see what he/she has to say. Sit down and have your character go into full Edgar Allan Poe style monologue, get them to simply talk and talk and talk and talk about all their favourite things, why they like them, tell stories off how they came to like them. Etc. See if you can get them to talk for at least 13 pages straight none stop.
Yes... write them talking, rambling endlessly about their favourite things for 13 pages. I guarantee when you finish writing this 13 page monologue you'll have a deeply intimate knowledge of who exactly your character is.
There is not need to include this monologue in your novel, this is a writing exercise to help you figure out who your character is so that you'll be able to write about them better within the novel. Though you certainly can add this monologue to the novel if you wanted to. If you are doing Script Frenzy this will put you 13 pages closer to your 100 page goal, and if you are doing NaNoWrimo, a page averages 275 to 312 words, times 13 pages, means you'll add 3,900 words minimum towards your 50,000 word goal.
Profile Survey #5: Dislikes
For dislikes, you pretty much just reverse the instruction for likes, using the same assignment as above. Get you character talking about things they dislike, hate, can't stand, pet peeves, and anything that annoys them. Get them ranting. Keep them ranting for at least 13 pages.
Profile Survey #6: If I Were...
Unlike the other writing assignments, this one does call for simple one word answers. But, you can easily take each answer and convince your character to have themselves a nice little rant or screaming fangirl fest over it.
Ask your character to complete each of these phrases.
- If I were a month, I would be
- If I were a day of the week, I would be
- If I were a time of day, I would be
- If I were a planet, I would be
- If I were a sea animal, I would be
- If I were a direction, I would be
- If I were a historical figure, I would be
- If I were a liquid, I would be
- If I were a bird I would be
- If I were a cat I would be
- If I were a dog I would be
- If I were a tree, I would be
- If I were a tool, I would be
- If I were a flower, I would be
- If I were a type of weather, I would be
- If I were an animal, I would be
- If I were a season I would be
- If I were a holiday I would be
- If I were a color, I would be
- If I were an emotion, I would be
- If I were a sound, I would be
- If I were an element, I would be
- If I were a car, I would be
- If I were a food, I would be
- If I were a place, I would be
- If I were a body of water I would be
- If I were a song I would be
- If I were a book I would be
- If I were a gemstone I would be
- If I were a metal I would be
- If I were a word, I would be
Profile Survey #6: If I Were...An Example of What Your Character's Answers Might Look like:
These answers came from my Twighlight Manor character Etiole:
- If I were a month, I would be September.
- If I were a day of the week, I would be Wednesday.
- If I were a time of day, I would be twilight.
- If I were a planet, I would be Venus.
- If I were a sea animal, I would be an electric eel.
- If I were a direction, I would be East.
- If I were a liquid, I would be salt water.
- If I were an animal, I would be a harbor seal.
- If I were a season I would be Summer.
- If I were a holiday I would be La Kermeese.
- If I were a color, I would be red.
- If I were an emotion, I would be love.
- If I were a sound, I would be laughter.
- If I were an element, I would be the water.
- If I were a car, I would be a Cadillac.
- If I were a food, I would be star gazing pie.
- If I were a place, I would be Otter Cove.
- If I were a body of water I would be the North Atlantic Ocean.
- If I were a song I would be "Look What The Cat Dragged In" by Poison.
- If I were a book I would be Jane Eyre.
- If I were a gemstone I would be a star sapphire.
- If I were a metal I would be silver.
- If I were a word, I would be unforgettable.
Profile Survey #6: If I Were...Now we turn it into a writing assignment...
Did you notice that there were 31 lines in this particular list? There was a reason for that. It's because Part 6 of this character creation writing course/workshop, is a month long daily writing exercises.
Yep, you guessed it. Now that you've come up with a word to complete each of those 31 lines, it's time to take that line had explain the reason behind it.
- If I were a month, I would be September.
Your character picked September for a reason. What was that reason? Why is September important enough for them to choose that as the month they would want to be?
You'll need another character for this assignment, which will go something like this on the page:
Character A: If you could be any month, what would you pick?
Profile Character: What are you yammering on about this time?
A: Come on, just answer the question.
P: Why should I?
A: Because you're not doing anything and I'm not doing anything, and I thought it'd be fun.
P: Fine. Whatever. September.
P: And what? I answered you're stupid question.
A: It's not stupid.
P: Yeah, right. Who asks questions like that?
A: Well, I did, so...
A: So, why did you pick September?
P: I don't know.
A: You must have had a reason.
P: Well, I didn't okay. It was just the first thing that popped into my head.
A: Yeah, but why?
P: I don't know.
A: You must know.
P: No I don't.
A: Yeah, you do. Think. Come on. Why September?
P: I don't know, I like September, okay, isn't that enough?
A: No. It isn't. Tell me what it is you like about September.
P: It's not too hot, it's not too cold, and... and...
He paused. The thought of September chocked him up. The memories came flooding back. Good memories. Happy memories. But sad too. Bittersweet, that's the word they called it, right? Good times. They always took place in September. Always. That was when...but she's dead now.
P: I don't want to talk about it.
A: What happened?
P: I said I don't want to talk about it.
While this conversation doesn't tell us much, is does give us insight into the personality of the profile character. It tells us that he is evasive. He doesn't like to open up and talk. His friend has to repeatidly ask the same things in order to drag out of him, even the most simple of answers. He's shut down and closed off and does not like talking about his feelings. When pushed, he snaps back, then goes off thinking internally and stops talking. It takes the friend yelling at him to snap him back out of his thoughts, but then he still refuses to talk.
We now know that September is significant to him, but that it's a very personal thing that he is refusing to talk abou
I chose to show this example, because it shows you, that sometimes, you the author don't NEED to know exactly why your character answered the way they did. Rather in this instance, how your character tries to AVOID answering the question, tells us more about him then his answer itself did.
Keep in mind that the goal of creating a character profile, is to get to know your character better so that you can write him more believably in the novel.
You really want to get into your character's head and have him answer - HIS WAY. And his way doesn't mean that he's going to just come out and answer every question.
If he's an argumentative character, then it's perfectly fine for him to argue the hell out of it and avoid telling you the answer.
It's not what the answer itself is that is important when creating your character's profile. The fact that he said "September" is not the thing that is important, which is WHY, you as the author MUST avoid writing one-word answers to these questions. You don't want to know that September was the answer, rather, you want to know, why he picked September, you want to dig deep and get under his skin, you want to find out the logic behind the answer, and if he refuses to give you more then just one word, then you want to needle that character to find out what he's hiding from you, Why is he refuses to give you more details.
The character himself is the important thing here. When he said September how did he say it? Did the tone of his voice change? And then when you pressured him to say more, how did he act? Did he twist his fingers? Crack his knuckles? Twirl his hair? Look at his feet? Become angry? Laugh? Smile? Try not to cry?
Dig deep. Your goal is learning who your character is, what makes him tick.
Now, you have here, 31 lines. 31 questions. 31 answers. And you need to turn them into 31 conversations. Remember, this is a daily writing exercises to help you get to know your profile character better. Every day for the next 31 days, take one of these lines, and turn it into a conversation - dialogue - between your character and someone else.
Get your character talking. Try to write at minimum 2 pages for each line. That's 62 pages minimum total. And if you're the type of person who says all this is way too much writing, then, Honey, you have no business even trying to write a novel. If you can't write 62 pages of character conversations, then you certainly can't write a 300 page novel. You need to find yourself a different career, because being an author, ain't for you.
By the end of this 31 day exercise, you'll have a much deeper understanding of your character and find that after writing these daily conversations with them, you'll find writing their conversations in the novel a breeze. You'll know this character so well that it'll almost feel like they write themselves.
Profile Survey #7: Childhood Memories
I'm old enough to remember Pong.
I had Pong.
When it was new.
Back when it first came out.
Pong. That was a long time ago.
You know, I could write an entire essay on the joys o playing Pong, in a world, that had never seen video games before.
Ah! Childhood memories.
Your childhood made you who you are, like it or not, you can not escape the fact that everything in your childhood made you, you.
Here, have some Pong...
Pong, is not what we are here to talk about though.
No, childhood memories is the topic here.
Your character has a lot of childhood memories that made them who they are. All too often, authors have no clue what their character's childhood was like, which is exactly why they run into trouble figure out how to write their character. Knowing your character's childhood is the single most important part of building their bio binder. You should have no less then 10 pages for EACH year of your character's childhood, from the first year they can remember, to their teen years. If you've not done this, then you have no clue who your character is or what makes them tick.
Take each of the following questions and write a 10 page scene, in which your character is taken into a flashback of their childhood. Write it in a mix of your current era character talking about the past, and flashbacks of your character as a child during the event.
- What is the first thing you remember? Your earliest childhood memory?
- What is the most fearful memory from your childhood?
- What was your happiest memory from childhood?
- What was the best thing about your childhood?
- What about your childhood do you wish you could change?
- Where did you grow up? How did that affect your childhood?
- Who, besides your parents, had the biggest impact on your childhood?
- Are there any songs or nursery rhymes from your childhood that make you all nostalgic?
- What is one strong memory that has stuck with you from childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting?
- What's your favorite memory of your parents?
With 10 questions to answer, this writing assignment will give you a grand total of 100 pages added to your character's bio binder.
For some reason whenever I think of the term "childhood memories" the first thought in my mind is always Great Space Coaster, followed by 1-2-3-4-5, and then Sweet Transvestite. Guess you can tell what decade I grew up in.
This page is in desperate need of more Tim Curry.
Every page is in desperate need of more Tim Curry.
There is no such thing as too much Tim Curry...
Profile Survey #8: Fears
As with the other writing assignments, here, DO NOT, be a lazy procrastinator and just jot of dumbass one word answers. If you can not be bothered to take each of these questions and get 2 or 3 pages MINIMUM out of them, then you have no business calling yourself a writer and will never make i in a career of writing novels. If you want to be an author, then get off your ass and ACT like an author. Do what authors do best: WRITE YOUR ASS OFF!
This is a 2 week long, daily writing assignment, to help you build deep, emotional characters that draw your readers in.
Every day for the next two weeks, take one of these questions, and have a minor character ask it to your main character.
Remember, these are NOT, yes or no, questions. Your character CAN NOT answer with one sentence. You MUST have your character take off on a full blown conversation, telling stories of their past, the hows and the whys, the details... open them up to their deepest, darkest innermost fears. Keep their conversation going for a minimum of 2 pages. If you can keep it going for more then 3 pages, then do so. If you can find a way to add this conversation to your novel, then go ahead and add it in. Maybe you can even added a succulent sub-plot to your story because of it.
Repeat this assignment every day for the next 14 days, using one question each day until you have used all 14 questions. By the end of these 2 weeks you will have added 28 or more new pages to your character profile and/or novel.
- What is your worst/greatest fear? Why?
- Are you afraid of the dark?
- Do you fear spiders?
- Who do you fear the most? Why?
- What one event from your childhood had the biggest impact of the fears you have today? How?
- Do you think you could ever overcome your fears?
- Do you sleep with the light on? Why or why not.
- Do you faint at the sight of blood?
- Was there someone whose life, perception of the world, or beliefs affected what you fear today?
- Who scares you more: God or Satan?
- Are you afraid to die?
- What fear do you have that hampers part of your life to the extent that you really wish you could put an end to this fear?
- Rejection, commitment, and intimacy - which one scares you more? Why? How has this fear impacted your relationships?
- Have you tried anything to help you overcome your fears? Do you think you could ever overcome your fears?
What Does Your Character Really Look Like?
Do you really know?
Here's EelKat's random thought of the day:
Did you know that there was such a thing as a job description that says: Wanted - author, must be able to vividly describe scrotums in detail.
There we go. That was completly off topic there, right?
Maybe not. Let's find out.
If someone was to ask you what your character looked like, what could you say? Tall, dark, and handsome? Short, cuddly, and cute? Well, okay, but is that good enough? See how many of these questions you can answer...
- What is your character's hair color?
- What is your character's eye color?
- What is your character's skin color?
- What is your character's fingernail color?
See how many of these questions you can answer...in no less than 5 pages.
Yes. Give me at minimum 5 pages describing your character's hair, five more pages describing their eyes, 5 more pages describing their skin, and yet another 5 pages describing their fingernails...yes, I did fingernails.
When you get done with this you'll have 20 pages to add to your character bio binder, and a much deeper understanding not only of your character, but of how to creatively write descriptions about what your character looks like.
And when you get done with this... keep going. Believe, once you get started, this assignment is insanely addictive. You'll suddenly be looking for ways to describe everything.
See what else you can describe. Write 5 pages each about:
- their feet
- their belly button
- their lips
I write Yaoi... I can write a 20 page essay on the description of one man's testicals, 20 more on his foreskin...and then do this same thing for 74 other characters and then write full essay comparing the differences of each.... and all 75 men in my books have very different balls.
I write CBT (Cock and Ball Torture) it's my job to know how to describe every detail possible of my characters' scrotums.
Yes. There really is a such a thing as a job description that says: Wanted - author, must be able to vividly describe scrotums in detail.
Don't I have a great job?
Yes, every time you see a dancing banana on this website, it's actually not a banana but rather a nice big family friendly dick saying hello.
Wave hello to the parade of dancing dicks.
Writing Exercise: The Police Sketch
Let's Take That Last Quizz One Step Farther...
As a writer it is your job to let your readers know what your characters look like. But do you know how to describe your characters? Try this exercise to find out just how well you know what your main character looks like. In this example, imagine that your main character is the man the police want you to describe.
- There is a serial killer on the loose. He is in your town. He has been on the news for several months. Everyone is on the lookout for him, but no one knows what he looks like. There are no living witnesses to describe him.
- You are walking home, and witness this killer's latest attack. You lived, because he did not see you hiding in the shadows. You got a good look at him before he left.
- Now you are sitting at the police station. Officers are gathered around you waiting to hear what you saw. A police artist sits across from you, waiting to draw the man as you describe him.
- You got a good look at him. You can see his face in your mind. But can you give an accurate description of what he looks like?
- The policeman speaks to you: "Ma'am, would you please answer the following questions to the best of your knowledge? Try to remember any details that stand out. If you think of something I don't ask, please speak up. Let's see if we can't get an accurate drawing of this man...
What was his facial structure?
Just the facts ma'am.
- Did he have high cheekbones? Shallow check? Flabby jowls?
- Wide, sturdy jaw? Narrow pointy jaw?
- Broad forehead? Wrinkled brow?
- A jutting chin? No chin? Square chin? A double chin? Does his double chin have a double chin?
- Does he have full thick lips or pale thin lips?
- Big nose? Small nose? Was it long or short? Rounded? Bulbous? Crooked? Did he appear to have ever broken his nose in the past?
- What about his eyebrows? Full? Thick? Thin? Fair? Dark? Bushy? Wide spread? Did they connect in the middle?
- Was there any facial hair? Sideburns? Bangs? Did he hair cover his eyes? Beard? Mustache?
- You didn't happen to notice what color his eyes were did you? Were they wide set? Close together? Large? Small? Round? Almond? Popeyed? Did he wear glasses?
Oh, that's fine. You did good. Now what about his hair?
- Did he have hair? Was it think or balding? Did it look natural or could he have been wearing a wig?
- What color was it? Brown you say? Was it a light sandy brown or a dark chestnut brown or could it have been more of an auburn brown?
- Did it look natural? Could it have been dyed? Did you notice any highlights or streaks? Was there a root line? Was it going grey?
- How long was his hair? Crew cut? Short? Ducktail? Ponytail?
- Was it messy or did it seem rather neat? Greasy? Well groomed? Hair sprayed?
- Straight? Thick? Wavy? Frizzed? Natural curls? Permed curls? Dreadlocks?
You're doing good. Could you give us a body type now?
- How tall was he? Tall? Short? Average? Could you tell his exact height?
- What about weight? Was he thin? Underweight? Overweight? About average? Athletic? Muscular? Pot bellied?
- Would you say he resembled more of a clean-cut business professional or a more rough rowdy type or something else? Why would you say that?
- Was he particularly handsome or a bit more plain or would you say he was down right ugly?
- Did you notice the way he walked? Did he have a limp? Did he move slowly or quickly? Long strides or little steps?
You're almost done. Just a few more questions.
- How old would you guess he was? What made you think that?
- Did he have any distinguishing features? A mole? A birthmark? Any visible scars? Any deformities?
- Smooth skinned or wrinkled? Pale? Light? Olive? Tan? Dark? Did he have a suntan?
- Could you tell what race he was? What made you choose this particular race? Could he have been any other race? Why or why not?
- Did you notice if he had any tattoos? If so, could you describe them for us?
- What about jewelry? Did you notice any ear rings, nose rings, or other piercings? Was he wearing a watch? Wedding ring? Necklace? What did the jewelry look like?
- How was he dressed? What type of cloths was he wearing?
- Of everything you can remember, what one thing stood out the most about him? What would make him stand out in a crowd?
- If you would say he resembled someone famous, who would you say he most looked like?
Overview of "A Police Sketch"
Now that you have finished reading that example, let's look at other ways you could use it, to help you describe your characters to your readers.
First off, you'll notice that I used a man in the example. If your main character is a woman, than just adjust the questions accordingly.
You may be saying, "But my main character isn't even a villain, let alone a serial killer!" Okay, so maybe turning your main character into a serial killer wasn't the best choice. Why did I pick a serial killer for this exercise? Well, because a serial killer is most likely to have a big "manhunt" out to find him; he's more likely to have never been seen; and once a witness does come forward, that witness is more likely to be run through the wringer, by the police, in a mass attempt to get an accurate police sketch of the killer. Long story, short, the end result will be a much more accurate description given by you the witness.
However, that was just an example. You could just as easily pretend that your main character is a missing person and you have no photo of him, so you must describe him to a police artist and once again, you'll have to describe him to the police artist with just as much detail as you would your readers.
It doesn't matter what you pretend your character is for this exercise, so long as you force yourself to write down a description of your character, that is so accurate that any one of your readers could draw his face and you'd say: Yep! That's him!
Well, a little bit more then 1,001 questions, but close enough.
With this list, you will now pick and choose questions, and using the assignments above, write your own mega massive 500 page, character profile, bio binder.
Every question is good for at least 1 page, 2 pages prefered, and most of these you can easily get 5 to 10 pages written per answer.
There are more then 1,000 character profile building questions on this list, and you certainly do not need to use all of them.
Some questions may not apply to your character, for example a question like: "What type of car do you drive?" would not fit a character in a Medieval setting, unless it was Ash with his yellow time traveling Oldsmobile and then a car in a Medieval setting makes perfect sense.
The point is...write.
Write everything you can.
Write, write, write, and don''t stop writing, then write some more.
You have characters, write about them.
Here is a list of questions for you to ask your character, just to see how s/he responds to them:
- How much empathy do you feel towards other people?
- What is your favorite season?
- What are some things you like to do in your free time?
- Who used to be your hero when you were young?
- Do you usually eat healthy food?
- Where do you like to go on vacation?
- Do you prefer to have many friends or just a few that you are close to?
- Who was your first crush, and when?
- How much do you value your privacy?
- What are some things you do every day?
- Are you single or in a relationship? Do you wish you had a different relationship status?
- Do you consider yourself to be an ethical person?
- Do you think science will ever prove any supernatural beliefs?
- Do you consider yourself to be healthy? Why?
- How many friends do you have who smoke?
- How often do you cook?
- Do you ever go hiking when the leaves change in fall?
- What is your favorite holiday? Has your favorite holiday changed since you were a kid?
- What are some of the differences between married life and single life? Are the differences the same for men and women?
- Do you like to meet new people or do you prefer to hang out with people you already know?
- What is your favorite sense?
- Is it okay to look different from other people or should you look the same as other people?
- What is your earliest memory?
- Have you ever been intimidated by someone’s appearance?
- Why do you think some people fall out of love?
- The only people who need privacy are people who are doing something illegal. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- What is your favorite food? What is in it?
- What do you think of when you think of winter?
- How many jobs have you had? What were the interviews like to get those jobs?
- Where would you like to go on vacation?
- What's in your pockets right now?
- What supernatural beliefs are unique to your culture?
- What is the best number of children to have? How many boys or girls?
- Where is the best place to be in summer? How about winter?
- Do you think society is losing its values?
- What was your country like when you were a child?
- Do you think your country needs more or less immigrants?
- What is the most beautiful thing to see?
- What is one luxury item you really want to have?
- What makes a happy marriage?
- Do you think beauty is the same for every person?
- What supernatural thing do you fear?
- Do you believe that love can be understood by looking at the brain and chemicals?
- What is imported by your country?
- Do you have more free time now than when you were a kid?
- Do you think people have the right to privacy? How about convicted criminals?
- There are three doors in a room (not including the exit), they're unmarked. One leads to death, one to riches, and one to home, but you don't know which leads where. What do you do?
- Does your country have a special food for any of the seasons?
- What do you think when you see someone who looks very different?
- Do you think the past was better than the present? Why or why not?
- How do you think disabled people feel when people pity them?
- What is the most wonderful smell?
- What are some good habits you have?
- Are most of your friends married or single?
- How do members of your family support each other?
- Describe your best friend.
- What are some things you always take with you on a trip?
- Would you like to be a fashion model? What are their lives like?
- What are some things your family did when you were a child in spring?
- Who was your most memorable teacher? (Bad or good)
- What supernatural things do you believe in (ghosts, ESP, fortune tellers, etc.)?
- How clean is too clean?
- Would you ever volunteer to help after a natural disaster hit? If yes, What would you like to volunteer to do? If no, why not?
- What is the most wonderful thing to touch?
- Do you have any strong memories linked to a particular smell?
- Why do so many people believe in supernatural things that can’t be proven?
- In public, how much affection is too much?
- What is the greatest sound?
- How often do you read books?
- How often do you exercise?
- Do you ever try to set your single friends up on dates?
- What is your opinion on climate change?
- Do developed countries focus too much on luxury items?
- Where do you like to go when you want to be alone?
- What's your favorite meal?
- Do you prefer package tours or making your own trip?
- On what holiday do people in your country eat a lot of food?
- What is the best taste?
- What nationalities are most immigrants who come to your country?
- Do you want to have children? If not: Why not? Have you told your parents about your decision? What do they think about it? If so: When do you want to have children and how many do you want to have? Do you want your first child to be a boy or a girl? Why?
- Should smoking cigarettes be illegal?
- Do you think scientists should be allowed to clone people?
- What is the worst season in your country?
- Which types of products must have brand names if you are going to buy them?
- What is your favorite foreign food? How is it different from your country’s cuisine?
- How does the idea of getting married make you feel? Excited? Scared? Happy? Nervous?
- What are some supernatural holiday beliefs in your country?
- Are you close friends with anyone who you knew in elementary school?
- How are masseuses and masseurs viewed in your country? Are they well respected?
- Where did you spend your last vacation? What did you do?
- How is showing love different now from in the past?
- If you went to a job interview with green hair, what do you think would happen?
- How do your habits change when you are single versus when you are in a relationship?
- Are you someone who likes change?
- Do you have any bad habits?
- What can you do if you want to save money and go on a date?
- Do you think some people have supernatural abilities?
- What would you do if you had more free time?
- Which of your senses is the most sensitive?
- your SO's (significant other's) hair color?
- How do you want people to remember you?
- Does it snow in your hometown in the winter? Did you use to make snowmen?
- Would you risk your life to save another person?
- Describe your personality.
- What is the longest journey you have ever made?
- Do you give to charity or volunteer?
- What kinds of people do you get along well with?
- Who do you think has the most power in your family? Why?
- What would happen if we erased all country borders and let people live wherever they wanted? Would it be a good or bad thing? Why?
- Do you have any friends who love being single or who can’t stand being single?
- What was the best thing about your childhood?
- How involved should governments be in individuals’ lives?
- What values will you pass on to your children?
- Are rich people really happier?
- Do you like cities or the country side? Which is better and why?
- Which of your senses is the least sensitive?
- Can natural disasters ever be a good thing?
- If you see someone with a lot of tattoos what do you think of them?
- Where is the most amazing place you have been?
- What do you think about people who follow tornadoes around to get data, video and photographs?
- What are some common conspiracy theories? Do you think they will be proven or proven wrong?
- When you see a couple, how do you know they are in love?
- What is something you should do every day but don’t?
- Where do you prefer to stay when you go on vacation? (Hotel, hostel, bnb house / room, etc.)
- What is your diet like? Do you eat mostly fruits and vegetables?
- What is your favorite thing to do in summer?
- The TARDIS shows up, do you go with the Doctor and which Doctor is it?
- What is the biggest thing you have done to help a friend?
- What is exported by your country?
- Is there such a thing as too much free time?
- If you were going to get a new car, what kind of car would you get? A luxurious car? A sports car? A hybrid or electric car?
- Some people say that marriage is outdated (too old-fashioned and not needed), do you agree or disagree?
- What is the most unhealthy food you can think of?
- How good is your memory?
- What are your best travel tips?
- What bad habits do you have?
- Most families in wealthy countries are having less and less children. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Why?
- In all cultures there are famous love stories (i.e. Romeo and Juliet). What is a famous love story in your country?
- What kinds of personality traits do you hate?
- How good are you at cooking?
- Do you give gifts on any holidays?
- When and where did you meet most of your friends for the first time?
- Are criminals ever NOT responsible for the crimes they commit?
- What festivals or celebrations does your country have during the changing of the seasons?
- Would you want to have a clone of yourself?
- What do you think the worst disease to have would be?
- How often do you spend money on things you know you shouldn’t? What kind of things do you buy?
- Have you ever felt like a square peg in a round hole?
- Assuming that any "powers" (magic, telekinesis, super-strength, etc) you may have aren't working, what is your preferred weapon if you have to fight?
- What are some activities you like to do?
- Could you date someone if they had a terrible sense of fashion?
- Do you have any friends who would risk their life to save you?
- What's your weapon of choice?
- Is there something you wish you could do with your free time but can’t?
- Would you jump into a deep river to save a drowning animal?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- If you could choose anyone, who would be in your party?
- Does your country have strict immigration laws? Should the laws be less strict or stricter?
- How will our children be affected by climate change?
- What do you think is the most popular luxury item in your country? Who is it made by?
- Do you think that newspapers sometimes cover up events?
- People are living longer and longer thanks to medicine. How long would you like to live? How about forever?
- What is the best way to meet boyfriends or girlfriends?
- What do you wish you were better at remembering?
- How dirty is too dirty?
- How important is personality when you are choosing a spouse?
- Do you think it is possible to be too empathetic?
- What is the strangest food you’ve seen or eaten while on vacation?
- Who's your hero?
- What are some things you do to blend in?
- What is a value other people think is very important which you don’t think is important?
- How much do you exercise every week?
- Do people in your country talk a lot about other people’s appearance?
- Describe your perfect spouse.
- Do you agree with the saying “Children should be seen and not heard”? Why do you agree or disagree?
- Who is responsible for retired people’s welfare? Themselves? Their family? Their government?
- What is your full name?
- You can make one change to your country’s capital city, what will you change?
- How often do you travel?
- Is your personality more similar to your mother’s or father’s?
- Do you think a four day work week would be a good idea?
- What problems could cloning people solve?
- Would you risk your life to save a friend? How about a stranger?
- How often do you eat foreign food and how often do you eat your country’s cuisine?
- Do you think immigrants to a country work harder than people born in that country? Why or why not?
- How did your parents decide on your name?
- Are there any diseases like small pox that you think humans could totally get rid of if we tried?
- What is the craziest example of a luxury item you have heard of?
- What is the strangest holiday or festival you have heard of?
- In what ways have you changed since you were in junior high school?
- Name five things a person can do to make themselves happier without spending money.
- What do you think married life will be like?
- How much do you think memories change over time?
- If you drop food on the floor, will you pick it up, blow it off/dust it off and eat it?
- What is a successful life? What habits should you have to have a successful life?
- What should a person do if they find a wallet? What do people usually do? What would you do? Have you ever found a smart phone? What did you do? If you haven’t, what do you think you would do?
- If you had to do one crazy thing to your appearance what would you do?
- How tall are you?
- At what age do you think someone becomes responsible for his or her actions?
- Have you met someone who you hated right away even though you didn’t know them?
- Where do you think the future of medicine will be? Genetics? Cybernetics? Chemistry?
- Where is the best place to eat in your town? Why is it so good?
- What do you like to do while you are traveling? (i.e. relax, shop, sight see, experience local culture…)
- Did your parents read to you when you were a child?
- Do you think we are born with our personalities, or do we develop them because of what happens to us?
- What do people need to eat more of?
- Have you ever been jealous that someone had something you didn’t?
- Do you have any friends or family who are immigrants? How does that affect your view of immigration?
- What color is your hair?
- What kind of qualities do you look for in a friend?
- Are corporations responsible for helping the environment?
- Do you know the difference between a hurricane, a typhoon, and a cyclone?
- Is there one type of building material you prefer in buildings?
- If you got a tattoo, what would it be?
- Are good family members or good friends more important? Why?
- When do you plan on getting married?
- What are some things that you can cook?
- Why do you think some people remember the same events differently?
- What values did you parents pass on to you?
- What makes you unique?
- What color are your eyes?
- Would you like to get your genome sequenced?
- How much responsibility should individuals have for protecting the environment?
- What souvenirs have you brought back from traveling?
- How often do politicians in your country get in trouble because of cover ups?
- Why might it be bad/good for a doctor to have a lot of empathy?
- Do you think that different cultures think about beauty differently?
- Are you comfortable around disabled people?
- What is something you do about once a week, month or year?
- What does your voice sound like?
- Are there any holidays that you really don’t like?
- When two people go on a date, who should pay?
- Do you think that luxury goods make people happy? Why or wh
- What kind of cars do you think look the best?
- Where are you going for your next trip?
- Do you think your parents ate healthier food at your age than you do? How about your grandparents?
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? A few or heavily?
- If you could find out that you were at risk to get a certain disease, would you want to know?
- What are some ethical dilemmas you have faced?
- What do you miss most about being a child?
- Do you prefer functional or fashionable clothing?
- Do you wear jewelry?
- Have you ever gone on a diet to improve your health or lose weight? How well did it work?
- What is the dirtiest job?
- How many types of natural disaster can you name? Which is the worst?
- Do you give money to homeless people? Do you think people should give money to homeless people?
- What are some of your responsibilities?
- Where did you come from?
- What personality trait would you like to develop?
- Is it rude to tell the person that they need to improve their appearance?
- Do you think it is better to have children when you are older or younger?
- What do you want your wedding to be like?
- Where was you born?
- How close are you to your extended family? (cousins, aunts, great uncles etc.)
- Could cloning people lead to problems? What kinds of problems?
- What are some local environmental problems you have noticed?
- Where did you grow up?
- Do you eat a lot of small portions or a few large portions of food each day?
- How did it shape him?
- Who is the most empathetic person you know?
- Do you think it is possible for global conspiracies to exist?
- Are there any values that your parents tried to make you follow but you weren’t good at doing?
- Do you eat different foods depending on the season or weather?
- Do you think your country should have more, or less, holidays? Why?
- Is stealing ALWAYS wrong? When is it right to steal?
- Which of your personality traits would you like to lose?
- What mood Are you usually in?
- What do you think of arranged marriages?
- What are the best ways to make a good first impression?
- What do you think of plastic surgery?
- Is fashion important or not important? Why or why not?
- What dish or food are you best at cooking?
- How would someone go about gaining your trust?
- How did you meet your best friend?
- How often do you wash your hands with soap?
- How many people should you date before getting married?
- Why do you think that humans started living in cities?
- What do you think of people who marry and decide not to have children?
- What Do you hate to see in others?
- Can you drive? If yes, are you a good driver? When did you get your license? If no, do you want to get a driver’s license? Why or why not?
- What is the best thing we can do to help disabled people?
- How is your sense of humor? Cheerful, dry, nonexistent?
- If you could save people by killing one person, would you?
- What are some of the advantages of books vs. movies? How about the disadvantages of books vs. movies?
- Do you think people from your country usually eat healthy food?
- What are the limits of your comfort zone?
- Do you make first impressions based on what people wear?
- Are you comfortable discussing your yourtory? With strangers?
- Some people say that poorer societies have stronger values than richer countries. Do you agree?
- How do you think you will change in the future?
- What is something that you can spend money on that will make you happy? How long will it make you happy for?
- What do you dream about at night?
- What kinds of food can you cook? Would you like to learn how to cook more types of food?
- How much do you think governments should give to help other countries?
- What do you think of the fashion industry?
- Whose job is it to uncover conspiracies and expose cover ups?
- Do you think houses will be more environmentally friendly in the future?
- Do you ever have nightmares?
- What does “Beauty is only skin deep.” mean?
- In what jobs is empathy a bad thing to have?
- Do you exhibit pride for your country? Culture? Religion?
- How often do you dream?
- What is the grossest thing you have seen someone do?
- How do you think western families and eastern families differ?
- What kind of style of buildings do you like? (Traditional, Modern, Crazy, Functional, etc.)
- How often do you lie? When is it okay to lie?
- In what environment Are you most at ease?
- What are some things about your eating habits you want to change?
- Do you think that children these days have a better or worse childhood than your generation? Why?
- What kind of impression are you trying to make with your clothes?
- If we could clone dinosaurs like Jurassic Park, would you want to?
- Does your country have parades during holidays? Have you ever been to a parade?
- Where or what makes him most uncomfortable?
- Do you have a soft spot for anything or any one? Is it obvious?
- Do you think you can cook better than your mother?
- Who in your family travels the most?
- What would most embarrass him?
- What traditional values are not important or not necessary now?
- Do you usually see the brighter side of things, or are you jaded?
- What is some of the silliest fashions you have seen?
- Do you think that we will still live in cities 100 years from now?
- If you see a homeless person on the street asking for money, what is the first thing you think about them?
- Which vices Are you most prone to?
- Do you think that organic food is much better than normal food or are they about the same?
- How open should governments be? Do governments need some secrecy?
- Do you dream in color or black and white?
- What Do you value most in life?
- Do you know anyone who is disabled?
- Do you have any medical problems, diseases, injuries?
- What do you think is the most important thing to make a happy family?
- What is your career? What Do you do for an income?
- What makes a person act ethically or unethically?
- Who is a better cook, your mother or your grandmother?
- Who is responsible for taking care of the poor?
- Do you think cars are safe?
- Did your mom let you get dirty when you were a child?
- Do you try to make a different first impression now than you did in high school?
- What is your income?
- How about if we could clone ancient humans, like Neanderthals or the early homo sapiens? Would you want to clone ancient humans?
- What do you think of your country’s (modern/traditional) architecture?
- Are you good at knowing when something is wrong with a coworker or family member?
- How much money Do you have?
- What was the last book you read about?
- Will the climate keep changing or go back to normal?
- How do you feel when you see someone not following the values you were brought up with?
- How adventurous are you when you travel?
- Which political party in your country is most likely to make big changes? Is that a good or bad thing?
- Is it better for mothers to stay at home with kids or go to work to earn more money for the family?
- Are you a suspicious or trusting person?
- Have you ever had a flying dream?
- Are you married?
- What is traditional food in your country like? Is it healthy?
- What makes someone beautiful?
- Do you think fashions changed as quickly in the past as today? Why or why not?
- Do you have any children?
- What Christian group banned Christmas in Boston from 1659 to 1681?
- Should rich people and corporations be forced to give to charity?
- Have you ever tried to make a great first impression but completely messed it up?
- What do you think is most important for a happy childhood?
- If you saw a pickpocket stealing someone’s wallet what would you do?
- What made your villain the way they are? What's the root of your villain's villainy? Is it love? Envy? Anger over some past injustice? What are they fighting for on a personal level?
- Have you ever had déjà vue?
- How do you think cities will change in the future?
- Do you think your country’s government does enough to help disabled people?
- How old Are you?
- What does the idiom “I feel your pain.” mean? Have you ever felt some else’s pain?
- What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of driving versus public transportation?
- What is the longest trip you’ve taken?
- What Are you?
- Are cooking shows popular in your country? Do you watch any cooking shows?
- Many families send their children to private institutes or daycares for most of the day. Is this good or bad?
- What are some secret societies you have heard of? Do you think they really exist?
- Have you ever been falling in a dream and just when you are about to hit the ground you wake up?
- What is the dirtiest you have ever been?
- What are four pros and four cons of being an entrepreneur?
- What are some buildings around where you live that you like? Do you like them?
- What is the most important holiday?
- Do you have any distinctive physical features or deformities?
- If you were a fashion designer, what kind of clothes would you design?
- What if science could clone famous people like Albert Einstein or Leonardo Da Vinci? Do you think they would be as successful if they were brought back as clones?
- Do you think that a person’s eating habits affect how long they will live?
- Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction books?
- How do you define the word “home”? Is it where you live? Where your family lives or where you grew up?
- Do you think science can measure beauty?
- What is your favorite snack?
- What city would you like to visit?
- What about your childhood do you wish you could change?
- There are many types of houses (underground, eco-friendly, rural, apartment) What kind of house would be your ideal house?
- Does your country have a holiday when it is traditional to help out people in your community? If not, should there be a holiday like that?
- What does your country’s culture traditionally believe about dreams?
- What are the biggest changes in the world you have seen since you were a child?
- In your opinion, what are the worst disabilities?
- What was your most memorable birthday?
- What is your favorite way to spend free time?
- Talk about what you have eaten today.
- What are your hobbies?
- How often do you clean your house or room?
- Do you think dreams have meanings?
- What religion are you and why?
- Do you know any entrepreneurs?
- What do you think cars will be like in the future?
- Should poor people be punished for stealing if they are stealing to feed their family?
- When married people talk about having children they talk about “starting a family”. Can two married people be a family if they don’t have kids?
- When are secrets a good thing?
- What unhealthy food do you love?
- What do you dream about at night? Do you ever have nightmares?
- What do you miss most when you are traveling?
- How much does architecture affect your moods?
- What makes a city great to live in?
- Do you think people don’t read enough books these days?
- What do you think cloning will be like in the future? Will cloning stop or expand?
- What do you usually do to celebrate your birthday?
- What is one strong memory that has stuck with your character from childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting?
- Do you do the dishes right after eating? How long do you let the dirty dishes sit without washing them?
- How are disabilities viewed in your country?
- Strongest positive personality trait is...
- Strongest negative personality trait is...
- Temperment is...
- Consideration for others is...
- What is the most profitable type of business to open in your country?
- Where did you grow up? How did that affect your childhood?
- What are your bad habits?
- What food did your mother always tell you to eat and not to eat?
- Do you think it is better to give time or money?
- Do you think dreams can tell the future?
- Have you ever been interested in architecture?
- How much water do you drink every day?
- How Do you dress and what does it reveal about him?
- What is the ideal length for a vacation?
- If you could only read one more book for your entire life, what would it be?
- How do you think family life is changing in your country? (example: wife working, husband cleaning, kids at institutes) Is this change good or bad?
- What are your biggest flaws? Are you cowardly, prone to jealousy, vindictive, quick to anger, slow to take action?
- Do you think the use of cars will increase or decrease in the future? Why?
- Has you ever had your heart broken?
- Are cities good for the environment or bad for the environment?
- Do you have former lovers?
- Have you ever been dreaming and woken up and couldn’t move?
- Do you think that the person having the birthday should pay for the birthday party or should their friends and family pay for the party? Why?
- Can a book change the world?
- What kinds of food did you eat when you were a child? Do you eat the same things now?
- What is a challenge you faced?
- Do you think animals dream too? What kind of dreams do you think they have?
- What were some of your favorite activities when you were a child?
- What do you think of gay marriage?
- What is your favorite color?
- How Do you deal with conflict and change?
- Who is your best friend?
- Should a restaurant open where there are no restaurants or lots of restaurants?
- Do you have any friends of particular importance to your life?
- Smart buildings are being built now that can do lots of things. What would you like to see buildings be able to do in the future?
- What is your greatest fear?
- What is the hardest thing to cook?
- Do you know anyone who is REALLY concerned about germs and cleanliness?
- Can you swim? How often do you go swimming?
- What is your favorite food(s)?
- How often do you go to art museums?
- Is change good or bad for a person’s mental health?
- In what situation would you become violent?
- What is your favorite food that your mother/father cooks?
- Where is the best place to have a birthday party?
- Is spanking or hitting a good way to discipline children? Why or why not?
- In what situation would you act heroic?
- Who is an author that you like? Why do you like their books?
- Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
- What words and/or phrases Do you use very frequently?
- Are you able to kill? Is killing easy or difficult? Do you feel any guilt after killing? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable?
- Who, besides your parents, had the biggest impact on your childhood?
- In your opinion, what is the most evil thing any human being could do?
- Have you ever kept a dream journal?
- What is your sex life like?
- How are businesses today different from businesses in the past?
- Is there anything about your race or species that makes him unique or otherwise different from other characters?
- What kind of social gathering do you like best?
- What kind of challenge would you like to try?
- What age is too young to get married?
- What is your most marked characteristic?
- Do you prefer to eat unhealthy or healthy food?
- Do you consider yourself to be artistic?
- What Do you consider your greatest achievement?
- What gifts do you like to receive on your birthday?
- Do you have any natural born magical abilities or super powers?
- What is one example of traditional literature in your country? Did you have to read it in school?
- Is there anything you absolutely refuses to do under any circumstances? Why Do you refuse to do it?
- What is the most positive change you have experienced in your life?
- Do you smoke, drink, or use drugs? If so, why? Do you want to quit?
- To what degree has you actually controlled the course your life has taken?
- Is color important to you?
- Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?
- What is your most treasured possession?
- What do you want to provide your children that you didn’t have when you were growing up?
- Would you like to open your own business? Why or why not?
- What or who is the greatest love of your life?
- Why do people get married?
- Is there anything that would easily enrage him?
- How often do you eat out?
- What is the most amazing thing about the brain?
- What would you be willing to sacrifice to save what you loves most?
- What is the most heart warming birthday wish you can give someone?
- Do you value “roughing it”, or would you rather stick to your comforts?
- What is life in prison without parole like in your setting?
- If you could have any food right now, what would it be?
- What do you think about modern art paintings?
- What are some of the advantages of cooking your meals at home? How about the disadvantages?
- What are some of the most serious environmental problems?
- Do you like reading the traditional literature of your country?
- What kind of car Do you own?
- Do you have any heroes that have done something amazing?
- Is it important for husbands to know how to cook?
- Political views?
- What dishes from your country are often confused by tourists or foreigners? (i.e. sushi / sashimi or lo mein / chow mein)
- Who were you really jealous of when you were a child? Why were you jealous?
- Are there any issues (bigoted ideas from society) caused by your species/ race/ ethnicity, that you have to deal with?
- What was the best or worst dream you can remember?
- How many forms of art can you name? What is your favorite form of art?
- Can you tell if a kid will grow up to be a criminal?
- What is the best birthday party for someone else you’ve been to? How about the worst?
- What are some extraordinary things some people can do with their brains?
- If you were offered an excellent job abroad could you leave your family and country for 5 years?
- Does color affect your emotions?
- What were your birthdays like when you were growing up?
- Does your father cook?
- How do you define what is good or morally desirable?
- Coffee or tea?
- Is graffiti art? Why or why not?
- Where do you keep your lock picks?
- Some people think that facing challenges improves a person. Do you agree or disagree?
- What do you value more than anything else in the world?
- What was your experience at school like? (elementary, junior high, or highschool)
- If you have a power, what is it? And how did you get it?
- What is the best way for police to keep neighborhoods safe?
- What kind of magic is in your world?
- Can you do magic?
- How rigorously to you strive to perfect your beliefs and knowledge of the world, and to what extent do you allow your assumptions to remain unchecked?
- Will we ever be able to augment our brain with technology? Would you?
- Do you have a familiar and what is it if you do?
- How do you feel about the arcane?
- What birthday traditions are unique to your culture?
- Do humans taste like chicken?
- Do you have any close cousins?
- Do you like to eat pumpkin?
- Imagine being in a room where everything is dark blue how would you feel? What if the room was red? Black? Yellow? Pink?
- Would you like to rule the world?
- Who is the best cook you know?
- Would you sacrifice someone you loved, for a good enough cause?
- What are your views on marriage?
- What is the most famous statue in your country?
- What are you wearing right now?
- Would you rather live in your home country or live abroad?
- What are you on today?
- Think of some tragic events that happened. Do you remember what you were you doing when you found out about them?
- What do you wish your brain was better at?
- At what ages do people have a massive birthday party in your culture?
- Have you ever met someone from a mafia?
- Would you rather be smart or beautiful / handsome?
- Do you think male and female brains are better at different tasks? Why or why not?
- Would you like to be a chef? Why?
- Who is your favorite artist? Why do you like them so much?
- What flavor cake or what type of food do you like to eat on your birthday?
- What do you think about most?
- Do you think that certain colors are only for boys or only for girls?
- Would you rather be poor and happy or rich and unhappy?
- Do you think that art is important to society? Why?
- Does your country have a big organized crime group like the mafia?
- If you HAD to change your hair color, what color would you change it to?
- If you had your own personal chef, what meal would you ask for most?
- What does your brain do that you hate?
- What kind of maximum security prisons are there in your country?
- How have birthdays changed from generation to generation in your culture?
- How do convicts in your country cope with being in prison?
- How do convicts in your country spend their time?
- Has anyone in your country ever escaped prison?
- If you bought a car, what color would it be?
- What virtue do you lack most?
- Have you ever tried drawing, painting, sculpting, or something else artistic?
- What do you call that hairstyle?
- Do you read many books?
- How many people have you killed, and why?
- If I was to hold your beloved over the ramparts and threaten to rip out your/her heart and eat it before dropping them over it unless you slaughtered their village-family-town-castle-significant other. What would you do?
- Would you rather marry someone plain with a good personality or someone beautiful without much personality?
- your friends were already happily slaughtered in front of you and nobody who cares about you can save you (some of whom are watching as you die in excruciating agony). There's really no way out. What do you do?
- How hard is it to become a chef? What do you have to do to become a chef?
- Any tattoos or piercings?
- What do you think about telepaths?
- What's your type?
- Pink and purple are rarely worn by men in western cultures, why do you think this is?
- Are there gods in your world? If there are, which on do you follow and why?
- Is there a lot of corruption in your country?
- Are older people actually wiser?
- If you had to choose between a family member doing a great evil or a foe doing a great good, who would you side with?
- What kind of people shoplift and what kinds of things do they steal?
- What animal best represents you? Why?
- Have you taken any really important vows? What were they?
- What is the most famous painting in your country?
- If war broke out in your country would you rather flee the country or fight?
- Do you think humans will ever completely understand the brain? Why or why not?
- What is your favorite form of combat?
- Do you know anyone who was adopted?
- What is the best activity to do while camping?
- What kind of clothes do you wear?
- It used to be common to talk to strangers. Do you think it’s okay to talk to people you don’t know?
- Colorful tattoos are becoming more popular. Do you think they will become as popular in your country? Why or why not? Would you ever get a tattoo? Why or why not?
- What kind of world do you live in?
- What is something that isn’t considered rude but should be?
- What is your name?
- Do you think someone is a better person after they have been through a challenge?
- Is aging more difficult for men or women? Why?
- Do you believe aliens exist?
- Would you rather be rich or famous?
- What creature scares you? Why?
- When do you use your brain the most?
- Do you cry at sad movies?
- What is traditional art like in your culture?
- Do you ever go to the beach when it’s sunny?
- How many times have you gone camping? Did you enjoy it?
- How can we reduce smog?
- Is shoplifting common in your country?
- How long do you want to live?
- How often do you start up a conversation with people you don’t know?
- What does your best friend find interesting?
- What are some problems with corruption in the political system of your country?
- What is your country’s most famous food?
- If you had to lose one of your senses(sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste) which would you rather lose?
- Why do you wish that?
- Where have you gone camping?
- What are some examples of bad manners that you HATE?
- What country do you think is the most creative?
- Except for food, do humans need other animals? Why or why not?
- Do you think criminals can change?
- Who is the oldest person you know? How is their view of the world different than yours?
- Have you ever been to prison?
- When someone is rude in a public place, do you say something or try to ignore the person?
- What is your quest?
- Is the glass half empty or half full?
- What are some challenges you think the next generation will face?
- When a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?
- Have you ever seen a crime?
- Would you rather marry a rich celebrity or a rich CEO?
- What is the sound of one hand clapping?
- What are the 4 most important things to bring when you go camping?
- Why is art so expensive? Do you think it should be more, or less, expensive?
- What do I find in your trash can?`
- Think about how your Grandmother talks with people. Is it the same as how you talk to people?
- Vampire or werewolf?
- What are some of the benefits of getting older?
- Would you take candy from a baby?
- How important is it to be polite to older people even though they are often rude?
- What do you see when you look up at the sky?
- What is the most effective way to save endangered species?
- How are older people viewed in your country?
- Sword and cape or tights and a big axe?
- What is your favorite past time?
- If someone extracted your soul from your body, what do you think it would look like?
- Would you rather have a brand new Mac or PC?
- Do you think corruption will always be a part of business and politics?
- Do you currently have someone in your life that you would willingly die for? Who? Why?
- Should people make their children have easy lives with few challenges or make sure their children face challenges?
- What is the most mundane, simple thing you like to do?
- Do you believe there is other life in the universe? How about intelligent life?
- What moral value is most important to you?
- Do you have any artistic friends? What kinds of art do they create?
- Would you kill the one you loved for someone else you cherished?
- What are some examples of useful traits that help animals survive? (i.e. a giraffe’s long neck)
- What color is your house? your roof?
- How well do you relate to people who are 5 years younger than you? How about 10 years younger?
- Do you like coffee?
- How are manners different in other countries then where you grew up?
- If you did want to take over the world, how long do you think it would take you?
- What do you think about the adoption system in your country?
- Who are your three best friends?
- What should someone do to be happy?
- If you had to sleep with your worst enemy to save the world, would you?
- Is your country a safe country?
- Would you say you are addicted to anything?
- What do you think about "morals"? Do they exist, or do they not?
- Is camping with lots of amenities (solar panels, fans, stove, etc.) still camping? How much luxury is too much?
- What do you like to eat?
- How well do you get along with your parents?
- What do you think aliens might look like?
- Which country do you want to live in?
- What traits have made humans a successful species?
- Anything in your life you still regret doing to tyour day?
- Would you call yourself happy with your current life, and situation?
- you open your fridge, what do you see?
- What should people do when first meeting their boyfriend/girlfriend’s parents?
- you pass a homeless man on the street as your flipping through your wallet, you have a few spare ones. Do you give them to him?
- you have to do 40 hours of community service for a law infarction, where do you serve it?
- Would you rather take a trip to a new country or get a new TV?
- Is there any foods, you just can not abide?
- It is 5 minutes to 8 and dinner is not ready. At 8, your guests are arriving. What do you do?
- What recent corruption scandal was in the news?
- What is the longest distance you have traveled on foot?
- Use your imagination. How will people communicate in the future?
- Do you think aliens have ever visited earth?
- Name your favorite story as a child.
- Just what would you do, for love? for money? for power?
- How many relationships have you been in?
- Where is the best place to go camping in your country?
- Do you like or have any children?
- What is the cutest animal you can think of? How about the ugliest?
- Should police in your country be stricter or less strict?
- What is your idea of a perfect evening?
- Should the adoption process be more or less difficult than it is now?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- What do you wear on a daily basis?
- How can I get more free time?
- What was growing up like? Did you grow up with your family, or not?
- What three pieces of advice will you give your children?
- The world is ending, and you can choose two people to save. Who, and why?
- Favorite flowers?
- Have you seen a UFO or do you know someone who has seen a UFO?
- Are you a morning, or night - kind of person?
- What are you wearing?
- Do you know someone who is often rude?
- Do you have any super-special powers?
- Do you think people can communicate with ghosts and spirits?
- Have you ever hurt someone intentionally? Why?
- What's your MOAS? (Mother of all secrets)
- If you were in a position of power, do you think you would be corrupt?
- What's the biggest (or best) lie you ever told?
- Why do humans have pets? Do you have a pet? Why or why not?
- you are invited to your world's biggest social event of the year. How did you get your hands on an invitation?
- Can you think of some examples of how manners have changed in your country?
- Circumstances force you to sleep outside. During the night you hear a strange sound that might be a scream, but could just be a bird. What do you do?
- Whose advice do you follow more, your parents’ or your friends’ advice?
- What member of your family is your favorite? Least favorite?
- What is the longest time you have spent camping?
- What color is the sky?
- What should I do to make more money?
- What's your preferred season and weather? (And why?)
- If you could give the leader of your country some advice, what would it be?
- The holiday you enjoy most? (And why)
- Do you think people are more polite or less polite now than in the past?
- you're in a burning building. The exists are right there, but you hear someone shouting a floor above you. What do you do?
- What is your greatest regret? Would you go back to change things if you could?
- If you do celebrate birthdays, how do you celebrate? If not, why don't you?
- If aliens did come to a country and met with the government of that country, what do you think would happen?
- What is your favorite piece of technology and why?
- What was your first mode of transportation (horse or car, depending on subgenre)? How did you feel when you lost it (death, crash)?
- If you celebrate Halloween, what was your first costume? If you don't, what would you have been (as a kid)?
- What do you think the most common crime in your country is?
- What story/song did you mom/dad tell/sing to you as a kid?
- What's in your bathroom medicine cabinet right now?
- Have you ever killed someone (accidental or otherwise)?
- Do you know anything about the history of the computer?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- Would you rather be eaten by a tiger, or a grue?
- So... how you doing?
- Why are humans so fascinated by aliens?
- If you could own anything in your world, what would it be? (and why)
- What are you/want to be when you grow up?
- Have you ever killed someone? If so, why? If not, would you kill to save your life?
- Are there any animals that we should try to kill off completely?
- you have to spend the night in a hotel instead of your usual dwelling. What happened and why are you there?
- What extreme sport have you always wanted to try?
- A spell you cast goes horribly wrong and affects one of your co-characters.
- What is the first thing you notice about a person?
- Which co-character is affected and how do they feel?
- Do you consider yourself normal?
- Are you short?
- Tell a story about a camping trip (it doesn’t have to be your story).
- Are you a frog?
- How would you kill your worst enemy?
- A little girl is crying because her cat is stuck in a tree. How do you respond?
- Supposing they had television in your world, what would your favorite show be and why?
- If you had to take one person with you to a desert island, which person would it be and why?
- What is your least attractive trait?
- How many planets do you think are in our galaxy? How about the universe?
- Do you have a favorite animal? What is it and why?
- Why is your enemy (if you have one, or a group of them) your enemy?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- What do the clothes someone wears say about that person?
- Do you talk out loud to yourself when no one can hear you?
- What skill are you best at?
- If you could have one animal for a pet, what would it be.
- Where do you go to get good advice?
- What would be your first, second and third thoughts if your consciousness was suddenly transported into another the body of someone of the opposite gender?
- What would be your first course of action if you realized you were in a time loop (ie. no consequences.)
- Which matters more, justice or the law?
- Do you think humans will travel to another planet in your lifetime?
- What are your religious beliefs, and are they the same as most peoples' in your setting?
- What's the furthest you've traveled from your birthplace?
- Do you have any children? If not, do you want to eventually?
- Is there a part of your appearance that you are very proud of? (i.e. eyes, fashion sense, hair etc.)
- Have you ever ridden a horse?
- Have you ever considered sky diving?
- Do you own a computer? What do you use it for?
- If you could bring someone back from the dead, who would it be?
- What is one item you wish you hadn't lost?
- What is your favorite article of clothing or armor?
- What is the best thing about camping? How about the worst thing?
- Is there a song that drives you nuts?
- Two men come in to the place you are working. Both are injured. One is your countryman, and your wounds aren't lethal. One is a foe, and you is dying. Who do you help?
- Do you have any scars?
- How do you think we or aliens will get to other star systems like our own? (If we traveled at the speed of light, the nearest star with planets that we know of is 10.5 years away.)
- Is there a person or a cause that you would happily die for?
- What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?
- A homeless kid tries to pick your pocket, but you catch him. your reaction?
- What is the most interesting haircut you have seen?
- What was it that last pushed you over the edge, if ever?
- What was the last book/ piece of literature you read?
- Oh no! The Big Bad has captured your SO (if you don't have one, just imagine) how do you get them back? Is it a noble rescue or downright irresponsible?
- Who was the wisest person in your country’s history? What kind of advice did they give?
- Do you ever want to have children? If so, with who?
- Ah, the damsel (or prince) in distress. Cliched as it sounds, people rush off to save them. However, what if you came across a situation where you wouldn't want to save them? What would be your main reason for not saving someone in need?
- Who was your first kiss?
- Shag, marry, throw off a cliff: a dragon-riding hero/heroine, a fairy-tale prince/princess, an elf.
- you've just gotten a letter from your mother saying she misses you and wants you to come home. What do you do?
- Boxers, briefs, boxer-briefs, or chain-mail?
- you've just found out your significant other was secretly plotting to kill you. What do you do?
- If you absolutely have to go into a situation where the odds are one in a hundred of coming out alive, and there have to be two of you that go, no more, no less . . . who do you want with you and why?
- you are allowed to choose any creature strong enough to bear you as a mount. It will be tame and obedient. What do you pick?
- Computers are starting to be built into new houses and apartments. Would you like a computer to control your house for you?
- What is your favorite animal?
- Do you have any pets?
- What causes do you believe in/support?
- Have you every gone through the entire day without noticing something was wrong with your appearance? (i.e. missing button, food in your teeth)
- you are faced with a great decision, and told the fate of all living things hang in a balance. Do you take up a great burden to restore- or maintain- order in the world? Or do you flip the bird to destiny and allow things to descend further into chaos?
- If you had a choice between being good and dying for everyone you loved and being evil and living what would you choose?
- What do you do for a living?
- you run into someone you hate from your past, what do you do?
- If you were not doing what you're doing, what would you be doing instead?
- you get offered the chance to make one wish, the only limit being that you can't change the past in any way -- what do you wish for?
- you meet the person you want to spend the rest of your life with . . . at the reception for your own arranged marriage. That person feels the same as you do, that you two are meant to be together. So . . . what do you do now?
- you've found some treasure guarded by a dragon. The dragon may be a bit too tough for you to fight. Do you go after the treasure anyway?
- A former enemy of yours has approached you with gestures of friendship, saying you/she has mended your/her ways. Do you trust them?
- If you had to kill a best friend to help (say, like you was a vampire and didn't want to be) him would you?
- If faced with the option of making your life perfect but having somethings in your current life change would you take the chance?
- A monster has just killed all your friends what do you do to it?
- If you could have a bed made of anything you wanted, what would it be like?
- you're walking along a path to a split in the road. One's with thorn bushes and the other is made of yellow bricks. Which path do you take?
- What is your favorite expression?
- What is the best food to bring on a camping trip?
- If you were a superhero, what kin'na powers would you have?
- Would you wear spandex and colorful panties on the outside of your clothes if it meant you got ta' be a superhero with the powers you wanted from my last question?
- What would y'do if you came up to a locked briefcase that was beeping faster and faster and faster and faster....
- What are your thoughts on music? Are you musical at all?
- Oh no! you've been captured by your enemy, you's quick-witted but narcissistic, how do you escape?
- What was your favorite game as a child? (Be it practical, imaginative or of the board variety.)
- What kinds of things do you do to improve/maintain your appearance?
- Who do you hate most?
- Who do you love most?
- Do you trust your friends?
- Do you think people rely too much on computers?
- Favorite color?
- Favorite outfit?
- Favorite person?
- How did you get your hair to do that?
- What was the best meal you ever ate?
- Do you ever talk to yourself?
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- How old were you when you stopped believing in Santa Claus (or your world's equivalent imaginary being)?
- Have you ever considered running away from home?
- Are there any fashion trends in the past you followed but think are silly looking now?
- What element fits your personality best and why? (Earth, fire, water, air)
- What makes you easy/hard to get along with?
- What superpower would you pick and why? (If you have one, what would you have chosen for yourself and why/are you happy with what you have?)
- What makes you sick? As in, completely and utterly disgusted?
- How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
- Is there anyone you secretly like (romantic or platonic) that you'd never admit to?
- If you could go anywhere in your world, where would it be, and why?
- you ever been in a gang? Maybe you didn't call it a gang, but you ever run with people that would watch your back and trust you to watch theirs?
- If you could go back in time and give yourself some advice, what would you
- tell your younger self?
- What is the one thing about society that aggravates you most?
- you're 'running away' aka leaving in the middle of the night and you can only pack enough to fit in an average sized backpack. What do you take?
- What is your favorite season, if there are any where you live, and why?
- Ever committed a crime? I ain't talkin' shoplifting a CD or shit, I'm talkin' a felony. Big, bad, for-real crime. Ever done one?
- Did you ever say "Hey, let's do that again!" and earned shocked gazes from everyone else?
- What is your opinion about rabits?
- Want a cookie?
- When someone says "let's go home," what's the first place you think of?
- How old is "too old"?
- What advice would you give to someone going on a long and possibly dangerous journey.
- Have you ever lost anyone? If so, who?
- Do you have pets?
- Do you wish you were younger or older and why?
- If you could push a button and vaporize all the evil ones in the world would you do it?
- What could you possibly know of pain?
- Have you ever left anyone behind?
- you're leaving and can only say goodbye to one person. Who would you choose to see?
- What's your secret desire?
- What's your goal in life?
- Favorite food?
- Ever been knocked unconscious?
- Favorite weapon?
- Milk or water?
- Are you tall, short, or somewhere in between?
- Melee weapons or ranged weapons -- what's your preference?
- In a huge crowd, would you blend in or stick out?
- Again, in a huge crowd have you ever felt alone?
- If asked to donate to a good cause would you?
- How do I go about killin' the devil? Y'know, Satan. Lucifer. That dude. (Hey, somebody HAS to know, right?)
- How many siblings do you have?
- In what way do you prefer to 'remove' your enemies?
- Is anyone in love with you?
- According to your own standards, do you consider yourself a good person?
- What do you think happens after death if anything at all.
- Ever been arrested? Not gotten a ticket, but cuffed, booked and put in a cell? (Or the nearest equivalent of cuffed and booked, for those of you on the wacked-out LotR worlds and crap like that.)
- Do you have a food that you cannot live without?
- What is one lost comfort that you miss?
- What is your opinion of zombies?
- Ever had to kill a person? Not a monster, or a critter -- a person. Someone of your own race. (And I ain't talkin' skin color, I'm talkin' as human as you are -- or as elven as you are, or mer-human as you. Whatever.)
- What's the one thing you'd be least likely to tell anyone, even your closest friend?
- Do you have a hobby? If so, what?
- If you could do one thing without having to worry about the consequences, what would it be?
- Would you rather perform -- sing, play an instrument, act, do stand-up comedy, whatever -- or watch someone else perform?
- Are you addicted to anything (coffee, pretzels, illicit drugs, etc.)?
- Is your current location agreeable, or would you prefer to live somewhere else? If so, where, and why?
- What is your biggest ambition?
- Are there any songs or nursery rhymes from your childhood that make you all nostalgic?
- What one word sums you up?
- If you could spend a single day as someone, anyone else, who would it be and why?
- Is morality a relative thing?
- Do you believe in an ever-lasting love?
- Do you believe in angels?
- Have you ever seen a ghost?
- Would you ever try to take over the world?
- If someone is in a position of authority, does that automatically make them a responsible person?
- Do you have a pet? If not, do you want one?
- you come home one night to find your worst enemy waiting for you at your door. What do you do?
- What's your favorite pizza topping? (If pizza does not exist in your dimension or you do not ingest human consumables, let's just pretend for a moment that you do.)
- Have you ever watched the sunrise? If so, when?
- What was your greatest achievement?
- Who was/is your best friend?
- Do you have a religion?
- Do you have any hidden talents?
- Who would you do anything for?
- Would you rather sleep under a roof or under the stars?
- What's the most useful thing your parents or guardians taught you as a child?
- What feature do you look for in a significant other?
- What makes a creature a person to you? Not a human, but a person?
- Did you follow in your parent's footsteps (occupation wise), or have you made your own way in life?
- What was your weirdest dream?
- When was the last time you indulged yourself?
- What are some famous real conspiracies or cover ups?
- If you had all the money you could ever dream of, what would you buy?
- How far would you go fro your SO?
- Alright so you're mother just tells you you were adopted. What's your reaction?
- If you could chose any animal to be your permanent companion, what would it be and why?
- Do you think computers will ever be able to think for themselves or have “real” intelligence? What do you think will happen if computers become self aware?
- What's your typical outfit?
- How many pints before you're on the floor?
- your sister wants you to help her with her spell casting - the last time she asked things didn't turn out so well - do you agree once again or tell her to find someone else?
- Have you ever been in the air? And not just falling, I mean flying or gliding.
- Why do you bother? What makes whatever you do better than giving up, or even just laying down and dying?
- Do you like frogs?
- A government official brings you a reqest to supply certain items for the army - but you gets you mixed up with another tradesman and asks for something you can't make - what do you do?
- Armor for protection, or no armor for freedom of movement?
- How would you react to the concept of a world with NO magic?
- What is your preferred form of apocalypse? Flashy and impressive, or fast and quiet, or something else? Or, if you've seen the apocalypse, what was it like?
- Suppose you have somehow gotten into an arranged marriage with a powerful being, whether a dragon, elf, extremely powerful wizard(ess), etc.. How do you react? If you resist, how do you get out of it?
- What prejudices do you have, if any?
- We've heard all about lies... what's the hardest truth you've ever had to tell?
- Adventure comes knocking on the door - do you answer it? Or do you roll over and go back to sleep?
- you're walking down the street when you see a coin stuck to the floor. When you try and pick it up, it doesn't move. What do you do?
- What have you done in your life that you are most proud of?
- How would you feel and what would you do if a friend you weren't really close to suddenly started telling you about their tragic past?
- What is your favorite color... and why?
- you see a piano falling on your deaf best friend, but your too far away to reach them and save yourself too. what will you do?
- What's your favorite memory of your parents?
- What's your favorite kind of music?
- Do you like socks? (If you're from a medieval or other yourtorical world and don't know what socks are, do you like leggings/tights/stockings?)
- Do you believe emotions should be embraced or controlled?
- Something comes up and it seems your in for a long journey. Regardless of how you're getting there, what must you bring with you, other than the obvious (food, water, etc)?
- What is your favorite food?
- Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or fly?
- Can you use magic?
- Do you keep a journal? Why? Why not?
- whats the first word you think of when reading tyour?
- you find your workshop is not how you left it, and your favorite tools have gone missing. Do you launch a full investigation to track down who did tyour, or do you just replace the tools and move forward?
- Given a choice, would you rather be super intelligent or super strong?
- What are your views on sex?
- What makes you laugh?
- What is your best memory?
- Which comes to you first: Love or passion?
- Who is your favorite person to be with and why?
- Do you ever wish you were someone else?
- Have you ever considered learning to ride a dragon?
- Is the enemy of your enemy your friend, or is that just philosophical BS?
- you're meeting your SOs family for the first time. Do you behave normally, or do you wait until the next meeting to be yourself?
- Imagine where you'll be in 10 years. What will you be doing? Who will you be with?
- you're a regular at the town pub. One night, some stranger is occupying your favorite stool. What do you do now?
- your best friend and the love of your life are about to be squashed by a giant. you don't have the time or ability to save both. Which do you save?
- you alone come across an ancient scroll with the secrets of the universe. Do you share tyour freely with everyone else? Or do you hide it waiting for the highest bidder?
- What are your favorite pair of shoes or boots?
- Do you plan for children in your future?
- your SO (significant other) has just spent an entire day cooking a grand meal for you...except they're the worst cook ever and you fear for your health both from eating the food, and in refusing to do so. How are you going to survive the evening?
- If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?
- Ale or wine?
- you've earned a reward - either one giant shiny cut gem, or a bag full of gold pieces - which one would you rather have?
- Out of these, which would you choose to fight with?
- a) a pebble
- b) a scroll
- c) a rubber chicken
- d) all of the above
- Communism. Failed idea, or just not yet implimented correctly?
- Magic bean stocks - true or false?
- The last three books you've read (and I mean read, not just flipped through, but you can give me those too)?
- What is your favorite saying?
- A traveling salesman has tyour "awsome" magical item you'll give you a really great deal on - take it or leave it?
- Do you believe it is better to imprison an innocent, or let a criminal go free?
- Describe (with great detail!) the last stupid thing you did, and why you did it. if it was an accident, that last part obviously doesn't apply. ^^
- What is your dearest possession- how did you get it and why does it mean so much to you?
- What would you prefer to do if given a choice - study as a scholar, become a mage, or learn a trade?
- Who is the one person you want to see right now? Alive or dead, it doesn't matter.
- Would you kill a child if you knew with complete certainty that they would commit horrendous acts of evil when they grew up?
- Which is your greatest weapon: your physical abilities or your mental prowess?
- Chocolate or vanilla?
- When was the last time you had a nice, hot bath?
- What do you hate about yourself but would never change?
- Who are you thinking about right now?
- What did you have for breakfast tyour morning?
- If you could turn into any kind of animal, what would you be?
- When was the last time you drove a car?
- When your headed into a big fight who do you want to have your back?
- Drink of preference, coffee, tea, hot chocolate or other? If other, what?
- What's your biggest secret?
- Are you like your parents, or unlike them -- and how?
- Have you ever sacrificed for the greater good, and what have you sacrificed?
- What makes you a better person?
- What are you most afraid of and why?
- Do you have any dietary restrictions? If so, what are they and why?
- What is your most prized possession?
- What is your favorite song?
- What's something you've always dreamed of doing, but never got around to?
- How would your best friend describe you?
- What's the worst lie you ever told?
- Would you die to save your honor, or compromise your honor to save your life?
- What's the most stupid brave thing you ever did?
- Ever been in love with a family member?
- There's a shiny thing guarded by and evil thing. Do you try and get the shiny?
- If you encountered the mirror of Erised from the Harry Potter series (magical mirror that shows the one thing you desire most in the world) what would you see?
- What makes you the most angry in the world?
- If you were trapped on a desert island and could only bring three things with you, what would you bring?
- What is your drink of choice?
- What is your favorite kind of weather, and why?
- If your quest required you to sacrifice one sense, which would it be?
- What's the worst thing that's ever happened to you?
- What about the best?
- If I were ice cream, how would you eat me? ;)
- What is the first thing you do when you wake up?
- What is the last thing you do before you go to sleep?
- If you could change one decision in your life, what would it be?
- Do you ever limber up before a battle? Why or why not?
- Have you ever been dancing and with who?
- What sort of songs do you prefer?
- Have you named your weapons? If so, what are there names?
- What do you do to keep yourself occupied when you're in an annoying situation? (i.e. boring class, lecture, etc.)
- If you were going to choose a companion of the following, which would it be and why: wolf, fox, tiger, owl, eagle, cat, or dog?
- Who is the person you trust most?
- Confronted by a hungry, annoyed dragon, what would you do?
- What is your favorite pastime?
- When you're waiting, how do you pass the time?
- Are you normal?
- Which is better, black or white?
- How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
- If someone came and slaughtered your entire family, would you seek revenge, or turn to the path of peace and try to put it behind you?
- Do your gods mess up your life as much as mine do?
- How many scars do you have?
- Where exactly were you born/created?
- What is your educational background?
- What is your relationship with your parents/guardians like?
- How do you take your tea?
- Magic - inborn talent, or earned by hard work?
- What is your secret, innermost dream?
- It's a dark night and someone close by is screaming, what do you do?
- The police have arrested you for murder and you have one phone call - who do you call?
- Huge steam-powered engines or horses?
- It's 3am and you're awake. What are you doing?
- What kind of weather do you like? Why?
- your worst enemy apologies for everything they've ever done to wrong you, how do you react?
- If you woke in the night screaming, what would you have been dreaming of?
- Do you believe in the power of love to change the world?
- Where do you hide the bodies?
- Do you like to look your enemy in the eyes as you kill them, or stab them in the back by surprise?
- What advice your mother gave you have you obviously never followed?
- A delicate but attractive magician and an over-muscled sword-bearing hero (gender of both up to you) have both asked you out. Which one do you accept?
- What causes do you believe in/support?2. you are faced with a great decision, and told the fate of all living things hang in a balance. Do you take up a great burden to restore- or maintain- order in the world? Or do you flip the bird to destiny and allow things to descend further into chaos?
- you run into someone you hate from your past, what do you do?3. If you were not doing what you're doing, what would you be doing instead?2) you get offered the chance to make one wish, the only limit being that you can't change the past in any way -- what do you wish for?
- Where are you from?
- When are you from?
- What are your beliefs?
- What do you like to eat for breakfast?
- If you could take one object to the moon with you, what would it be?
- Do you know anyone who can do magic?
- What's your favorite animal?
- What's your favorite thing to do?
- The world ends tomorrow. How will you spend your last day (today) before then?
- If you were a musical instrument, what would you be?
- your favorite weather conditions?
- you can go back in time and change one (and only one) choice that you made in the past. What do you do differently, and why, and how does it change the present?
- What's your favorite vegetable?
- you're on a blind date at a restaurant that's world-famous for its desserts, and you find out that the person you're with is one of the bad guys. Do you run, try to kill him/her, or wait until after the cake?
- How do you relax?
- What is your wepon of choice?
- Would you spend the night at the spooky motel that you were pretty sure is run by creatures out to eat you?
- Who do you like, and does that person like you back?
- How often do you go out with friends and what do you do?
- Do you have a favorite book? What is it?
- What is the colour of your third cousin's aunt's brother's niece's husband's hair?
- Hey, what's that behind you?
- What's your most favourite thing in the world?
- If you were asked to destroy your most favourite thing in the world, would you do it?
- Once you've destroyed your favourite thing in the world, how would you feel? (And if you didn't, how do you feel now?)
Ads by Google
EelKat's Guide to
World Building For Fiction Writers
The Complete Article Index
The list below are the original pages written in 2003, and republished on Squidoo in 2007:
Even more articles have been written for this series since then:
As there are now more then 100 articles for this series, it now has it's own index page on which to list them all, as there are just too many to keep adding them to this end of article list. You can find the complete listing of all the World Building articles here now:
More on Worldbuilding In Fantasy Novels:
Books I Use When Creating Fantasy Worlds:
*UPDATE: ADDED November 7, 2013 -
I suppose one thing I should point out at this point, before we go any
farther, is my use of the word fantasy throughout this series. The bulk
of this set of articles was written 7 years ago in April of 2006, parts of it appearing on EK's Star Log and other parts of it appearing on my personal Squidoo account. In the 7 years since writing this I've received hundreds of emails regarding it. A common question asked being: "Why do you talk of building a fantasy world if you don't write Fantasy?"
ANSWER: Fantasy with a capital "F" is the name of a type of fiction, in other words Fantasy is a genre. I do not write Fantasy fiction of the Fantasy genre, that is correct. I do however create fantasy realms for my Science Fiction and Horror works. I write Dark Fantasy, which is a sub-genre of Horror and Space Fantasy which is a sub-genre of Science Fiction.
Did you see it? No? Let me point it out: I write about fantasy worls as the exist in Horror and Sci-Fi but I do not write about fantasy world as they exist in Fantasy Fiction.
If it is not real it is fiction, if it exists only in fiction it it fantastical, if it is fantastical it is a fantasy item, because it is not a real item, however being fantastical does not make it part of the Fantasy genre, just as not everything in the Fantasy genre is always fantastical in nature.
The word "fantasy" with a lower case "f" is a word that means "not real" and has nothing to do with the Fantasy genre (capital "F") at all. And therefore when I say "fantasy realm" I mean a world that is NOT the Earth on which you and I live on in the real world, and am in no way, shape, or form referring to the Fantasy genre.
The methods I use to create my fantasy realms can be applied to ANY genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, Romance, Western, etc.
2013 World-Building Series UPDATE:
Due to issues with content scraping, outright plagiarism, some of my articles appearing on OTHER Squidoo member accounts without my permission, and many of my "Squidoo articles" being stolen off Squidoo and posted without my permission on various blogs and sites including Wikipedia and Helium; all of my articles are in the process of being removed from Squidoo.
This series of World Building articles in one that has been heavily plagiarized over the years and as of September 2013, it can only OFFICIALLY be found here on EelKat.com - if you find it posted elsewhere, know it was stolen and I am not receiving royalties for it.
As you know, or not, Squidoo owners Bonnie and Kimberly-Dawn stole thousands of Squidoo articles from Squidoo members, and tried to pass them off as their own, resulting in the lawsuit against Squidoo owners for the theft of tens of thousands of articles.
More than 100 of my articles were transferred off my Squidoo account and moved to Bonnie's account,
while my authorship and writing articles, including this world-building series were deleted off my Squidoo account and transferred to Kimberly-Dawn's account!
I am shocked and flabbergasted at what these 2 women have done. That they thought they could get away with stealing so many articles from so many authors! Buying Squidoo from Seth Godin, did not give then the rights to our articles and these two horrible women had no right to delete them off of our member accounts and republish them on their own accounts, trying to pass them off as their own.
More then 100 Squidoo authors have gathered together in lawsuit against Squidoo owners, Bonnie and Kimberly-Dawn. The result of that is, Bonnie and Kimberly-Dawn, to avoid their asses being sued to hell and back, have now transferred the Squidoo lenses back to their original owners and deleted the entire Squidoo website.
Squidoo is officially gone. It exists no more. Squidoo is dead. Most Squidoo writers have opted to move to Hub Pages as HubPages has bought the remaining shambles of what is left of Seth Godin's Squidoo after Bonnie and Kimberly-Dawn massaquered it in their article stealing frenzy.
While I do have a HubPages account and my remaining Squidoo Lenses can be found there temporarily, they are being moved here and deleted off HubPages as I move them
April 2017 UPDATE:
As of now, all on my 600+ Squidoo pages are now moved here to EelKat.com and no more are remaining on HubPages.
It's hard to believe, Squidoo has been gone for 4 years now. It was such a big part of my life for a decade.