Now that we've reached 10,000 pages on this site, it has become necessary to create a new method of indexing the pages, seeing how it's not possible to link 10,000 pages from the navabar... heck, I had trouble just linking the top 100 pages in the navabar! LOL!
Since moving to this new url in 2013, I've been linking the top 100 most visited pages in the navabar and then linking to everything else from them. As of October 15, 2017, that system is being replaced with this one, which, hopefully will make it easier for you to navigate around this massive site.
So, now I'm creating topic pages, which will contain the links to the pages, and I'll just link to the topic pages in the navabar instead. Hopefully this system of indexing the pages will make it easier for you to find the pages you are looking for.
This page's topic is...
EelKat's Guide to NaNoWriMo
EelKat's Guide to NaNoWriMo
Reaching 50,000 Words /using EelKat's Methods
How I Reach 50k in 3 Days Instead of 30 & How You Can Too!
Ads by Share-a-Sale
Are you looking for The Dares Generator?
The List of Articles:
- NaNoWriMo 2017
- How do you make your story longer? | NaNoWriMo - Reaching 50k
- Writing Shitty First Drafts - Is the first draft meant to make you cringe?
- How many words do you write each day? (NaNoWriMo)
- Using work you already started for national novel writing month?
- Writing Your Novel: Do you save chapters as individual files?
- Do you write a novel start-to-finish?
- NaNoWriMo 2016: National Novel Writing Month, Recorded Live
- NaNoWriMo Overachievers: How did you do it?
- How Long is 50,000 Words?
- Why Write 50,000 Words In 30 Days?
- How long does it take to hit 1667 words?
- Average Typing Speed
- How Can I Possibly Write a Novel in 30 Days?
- Don't Quit! EelKat's Guide to NaNoWriMo
- Benefits of NaNoWriMo
- EelKat's Guide To NaNoWriMo Featuring The 13 Step Method To Writing
- My NaNoWriMo Journey
- I’m "evil" because I write books? WTH? Anyone else ever get this?
- The Script Frenzy Plot Machine Outputs. Hilarity ensues . . .
- Top 25 Clichés in YA novels (A NaNoWriMo Post)
- NaNoWriMo 2009 Rapunzel Plot Started
- 2009 Half Way Mark Report For Year of Doing Big, Fun, Scary
- How To Write A Stage Play Script Frenzy 2010 RE: Dirty tricks Cheats and Writing Dialogue
- Script Frenzy 2010 Updates: I’ve started work on “The Alien Bible”
- SCRIPT FRENZY 2010: I WON! & Psycho Stalker Attacks
- When Unpublished Writers Stalk Authors or My response to the craziest email I've ever gotten: You Stole My Idea - I wanted to write a book, but you already wrote it 10 years ago!
- KBoards, The NaNoWriMo ML Rumor & The Stalker Who Hacked My Accounts
- Writing Prompts Syndrome?
- I write my novels everyday and now it's already more than 100 pages yet it's not half of the story. Should I plan for ending or just keep writing?
- People Who Don't Write Giving Bad Writing Advice
- Looking for some advice on how to publish a book? Publishing Methods
- Why was your manuscript rejected? | EelKat gives feedback
- How I Write: My answers to your questions about my writing
- Book Ratings: Or Am I too young to buy this book?
- How valuable is a writer’s group?
- Only one thing is writing...WRITING! So just start writing, right now, today.
- How does a bestselling book become a bestseller?
- Which Story to Write?
- What Is a Writer and How Does a Writer Become an Author?
- Is It a Novel, a Novella, a Short Story or Something Else?
- 600 Pages: Epic Big Super Sized Novels and Why You Should Never Write One
- Dealing With Fans
- Improve Your Writing
- Writers Block
- The Writing Life
- How To Write Serial Pulp Fiction
- Pronouns: Amused, Abused and Overused
- Writing Exercises
- The Southern Maine Writers Group
- The Return of the KB Articles
- Too Young To Write It?
- Juggling life, the universe, and everything while being a writer too
- How To Write A Novel: Question Everything Before Putting It In Your World
- Writing Fantasy Books | What will a traveler encounter on the roads in your world?
- I've everything but a kitchen sink. Wait, how'd that sink get in my pocket?
- World-building In The Quaraun Series: Creating a Fantasy World
- Why do Lovecraftian beings come to earth?
- AuthorTube YouTube Interviews on Writing Dark Fantasy Yaoi
- How To Write A Novel: In what order do you create your world?
- How To Stay Motivated To Write | Writing Fantasy Books With EelKat Wendy Christine Allen
- Writing Medieval Servants: Their jobs and their place in historical fiction.
- How Your Degree Affects Your World Building
- Level of Reality
- Toilets In Fiction
- World Building for Writers
- Some Thoughts On Writing Gods, Demi-gods, Immortals, Demons, Angels, Heaven, & Hell In Fantasy Worlds
- Creating a Fantasy Realm
- The World Building Questionnaire
- How to Handle Writing Fantasy-Horror That Features Violence Against Children
- How to Write Hot Sex - Tips For Erotic Romance Authors
- Becoming A Better Writer: How to write interesting dialogue.
- Writing Controversial Books: Political Correctness & White Supremacists
- Transgender, Transsexual, Transvestite, or Intersex: What Is Quaraun?
- What is a God in Your Universe? | World Building | Writing Fantasy Books
- Need help writing characters of color | EelKat on racist white readers
- What is wrong with Quaraun? Autism, Asperger, PTSD, & Mad Cow: On Writing A Clinically Insane Character Accurately, While Avoiding The Psychopath Stereotype
- On Writing An Actually Autistic Character Accurately: Quaraun VS Real Autism
- Turning Scenes, Into Stories & Writing Travelogue Style Fantasy Books
- How would you explain your Fantasy world to a stranger?
- Ernest Hemingway Style of Writing Literary Fiction Used In Epic Fantasy Novels
- The Quaraun Series: Why Pink Humor Crude Adult Comedy Yaoi Is Not Erotica
- How can your books have gay transvestite characters and not be Erotica?
- Is The Quaraun Series Erotica? - No! Here's why...
- What's the inciting incident to your story?
- On Writing Sex Fetishes In Bizarro Dark Fantasy Novels
- Fight scenes. How to write them.
- How to Write A Kiss
- HEA in Erotica
- Is It Erotica?
- Writing Stuff That Churns My Gut
- Where To Get Endless Ideas For Short Stories, Novels, and Articles
- The Writing Dares Generator
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas (Where Do You Get Them?)
- Twerking Dragons: The Joys Of Writing A Novel With A Voice Recorder
- Creative Writing Story Prompts: September 2017 Edition
- Daily Writing Prompts (June 2017 Archive)
- What The Ocean Gives Me (How Things In Your Life Affect Your Writing)
- How To Enhance Your Creativity
- 25 fantasy writing prompts
- Writing Prompts, Story Starters, & Random Generators
- Writing With Random Generators
- Random Generators Writing Prompts Bizarro
- Random Generators Captured By Faeries Style
- Random Generators - Story Titles - Quaraun The Insane Style
- Random Generator Fantasy Characters
- Random Generator: Story Titles - Splork Style
- Random Generator: Story Flavours: Vendor Calls
- Random Generators For Authors and Game Masters: Art Objects and Quest Items
- Random Generator: Story Titles
- The Dungeons & Dragons Articles
NaNoWriMo 2017 Update:
Why There Has Been No Updates In So Long:
Sadly I've not been doing the 52 stories in 52 weeks method of writing since I was beaten up at Southern Maine Community College (SMCC) November 14, 2013 and left paralyzed for 5 months, relearned to walk for 18 months, and am still now in 2017 crippled and with very limited mobility. A 4 door white truck left the scene.
The FBI believes this attacker to be the same person who blew up my house with a bomb on October 18, 2006.
The 4-door white truck has Maine plate #: 1459 US.
The gold Volvo SUV has Maine plate #: blue skies
There are 3 people involved:
- a large sized bald man in his 30-ish who frequently wears a white "Moe cut" Halloween wig
- a blond woman in her 60-ish who claims to be his wife, but appears to be his mother, and wears VERY exorbitantly expensive French/Italian designer clothes; her clothes and hair stand out as no one in Maine can afford the $5,000 Chanel suits she wears; her suit coats cost more than the average family makes per year; she appears to be French (France French, not Quebec French.); she has an extreme snub-nose holier-then-thou attitude and claims she's going to blow my brains out because she "paid $6million for my house and can afford to buy police and bury the evidence"
- a red haired woman in her 50-ish, who appears to be the blond woman's sister or best friend; she called herself "Kendra Silvermander" has a severe mental handicap repeats words and phrases hundreds of times, has an excessively violent temper, is triggered by lobsters, bear, and moose, and carries a white poodle wearing a purple dragon costume; she calls the dog "My Dragon Childe" (in her emails she spells it with an "e"); she chants the phrase "I'm Kendra Silvermander, it's my turn to shine" over and over again like a broken record. she claims to live in Winthrop Maine, claims to be a NaNoWriMo ML, and claims she has to make daily 5 hour drives to Old Orchard Beach to make sure I am "not writing novels any month other then November"; she also claims to have hired a hit man to kill me on multiple occasions.
These 3 people are usually seen together, often in 3 separate cars, using all 3 cars to gang up on and attack me while driving to and from work;
They have THREE different 4-door white trucks and have attacked with all 3 at once before.
More information can be found HERE and HERE and HERE and HERE.
The FBI suspects them of being members of The Cyr Clan aka The Scottish Traveler Crime Family of America aka The Scottish Mafia; a roving gang of drug dealers and illegal gun sellers with connections to Connecticut, Colorado, and Wyoming....the Gypsy Clan that squatted on my farm in the late 1970s/early 1980s and were responsible for the infamous 4-5-8 Shoot Out.
As of yet the identity of these 3 attackers is unknown. If they are in fact, as the FBI suspects, The Cyr Clan back in Old Orchard again, they are EXTREMELY dangerous and wanted for the murders of 3 Old Orchard Beach police officers, 30+ children, the bombings of several homes, and for setting the 1963 Fire of the White Wave, which burned more than 100 Old Orchard Beach motels to the ground.
If you know the driver of this truck or his 2 female accomplices, they are wanted for 2 counts of attempted murder, the bombing of my house, the kidnapping of my cats, the murder/beheading of my cousin, and more than 200 terrorist attacks on LGBTQ residents of Old Orchard Beach, Maine. Please give any information you have to the identity of this very dangerous criminal to:
@ (207) 774-9322
September 26, 2017
The Latest Attack By Old Orchard Beach's Renegade KKK Members Who Use Their Cars As Battering Ram Weapons, To Slam Into Me While Driving Home, Has Done Horrific Amounts of Damage To My Daily Driver:
The car which attacked me on the Ross Road, just outside of the entrance to the Blueberry Plains, was a fairly new model of a Honda minivan, color maroon/burgundy metallic.
As with the previous attackers, this car had no license plates on it.
The driver appeared to be a man, but could have been a woman. Was wearing a straw hat, pulled down over their face to conceal their features.
This is not the first time they have done this. This particular attack however has done several thousand in damages to my car.
It is unknown if this driver was armed, however it should be noted that previous attackers, were armed with illegal automatic rifles, and it is assumed this attacker likely was as well.
The passenger's side of the front bumper of their car has a large pink paint smear on it, from the pink paint on my car.
Do be aware that this group of domestic terrorists, (who call themselves "The Loyalist White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan") are wanted by the FBI and are considered to be heavily armed and extremely dangerous. Their attacks on the non-white, non-Christian, and LGBTQ residents of Old Orchard Beach are becoming more frequent and much bolder. Do NOT approach them if you see them, just call the local police and the FBI immediately and run as far away from range of their gun fire as possible.
Do keep in mind that this group of terrorists are the ones who blew up my house with a bomb October 18, 2006, beheaded my cousin July 2013, drove a backhoe over my next house August 8, 2013, beat me up on November 14, 2013 leaving me paralyzed 5 months and crippled for the rest of my life, filled my motorhome with thousands of gallons of feces April 10, 2015, kidnapped my cats and have been one at a time returning the heads of my cats.
Since I got beaten up by this weird so-called author, November 14, 2013, still no clue who she is, but she left me paralyzed for 5 months, during which time she hacked my KBoards account, my NaNoWriMo account, my website, my FaceBook, my Twitter, and other places, pretending to be me and written horrible stuff via my accounts. Then she created 52 fake Amazon accounts and left 52 fake and completely identical 1 star reviews on every one of my books.
I was paralyzed 5 months, relearning to walk 18 months... and I was offline for a full 3 years, and had no clue this woman had taken over all my online accounts or had done any of these things, until 2015. :( .
I'm crippled for the rest of my life, on a cane with one leg useless, and only have the use of 1 hand now, and permanent damage to my spine.
I used to publish a novel a month... now because of this still unidentified Kboards member, I've got $3million in medical bills, a bomb also blew up my house so living in my car, can barely move, and am lucky if I can get 1 book typed up a year. So frustrating.
It's been 4 years and I'm still in physical therapy, and it's a good day if I can stand up, let alone walk. Had to cancel the 2015-2018 book signing tour, and had to cancel all the monthly book releases from November 2013 to who knows when... still all canceled and we are closing in on 2018 now.
The Kboards hacker crushed my spine, my hip, my pelvis, and my knee. Tore up all the nerves and muscles. Got a $40million lawsuit waiting for when the FBI finally identifies who the Kboards hacker is. FBI – Federal Bureau of Investigation agent's contact info is on my website if you have any info about who it was who hacked my Kboards account 2013 to 2015
They have done similar things to 140 other families in Old Orchard Beach. In the past 4 years they have kidnapped and beheaded more than 500 cats and dogs. They are also wanted in connection to the murders of 3 police officers and 30+ children, as well as the bombing of the First Care Health Clinic on Saco ave in 2003.
This group of terrorists are incredibly dangerous, if they approach you or attack you, flee from them as quickly as possible - they WILL KILL you.
If you know who did this to my car, please call the FBI Agent in charge of the case to turn them in:
Please Call FBI Agent Andy Drewer @ (207) 774-9322
More information about this psychopathic, criminally deranged NaNoWriMo ML & her violent "street team" can be found
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
- HERE and
NaNoWriMo employee Kendra Silvermander, a member of the Ku Klux Klan, who claims to be a NaNoWriMo ML is wanted by the FBI for multiple terrorist attacks on local non-white & LGBTQ+ authors.
As a non-white person who lives with daily attacks by the Ku Klux Klan .... daily attacks meaning:
- February 2003 bombed my doctor's office and killed him
- May 2006 they put my dad in a coma
- bombed my house in October 2006
- May 2010 cut my car in half
- beheaded my cousin July 2013
- drove a backhoe over my next house August 2013
- September 2013 - put a bomb in my classroom at Southern Main Community College
- beat my up leaving me paralyzed 5 month and crippled rest of my life in November 2013
- filled my motorhome with 1,000s of gallons of feces April 2015
- kidnapped my cats April 2015
- returned my cats' heads May 2015; 10 cats currently unaccounted for
- August 2015 a woman was beheaded in front of her 4 children, in Saco Shaw's supermarket, in the ice cream department, while trying to buy her children ice cream
- November 2015 - put a bomb in my department at Scarborough WalMart
- June 2016 - put another bomb in my department at Scarborough WalMart (it was WalMart who contacted the FBI and started the FBI investigation July 2016)
- 2016 my tires were slashed on 7 different occasions between October and December
- April 2017 put my dad in the hospital again, he almost died
- May 2017 attacked and rallied at my mom's house - twice
- August 13, 2017 - my birthday - murdered 73 pets
- September 26, 2017 - 2 days ago smashed up my car...
- in all more than 200 such attacks on my family since Stephen King thought to film the Thinner movie on our farm in 1994.
Yes... I've survived FIVE (5) bombings now.
A Terrorist Organization?
Did You Know
The FBI Is Investigating NaNoWriMo
For Their Connection To & Support Of A Dangerous Domestic Terrorist Group?
Did you know National Novel Writing Month Has Come Out And Made A Public Statement Saying That They Are a Supporter Of
The Ku Klux Klan?
Did you know, that the heads of National Novel Writing Month have put out an official statement regarding their Ku Klux Klan employee Kendra Silvermaner's building a bomb and trying to murder me by blowing up my house?
Offices of Letters & Lights spokesperson Heather Dudley said, "We fully support our MLs in all their actions. The ML is always right. In regards to this matter we have chosen to side with the ML." ~November 28, 2016
Uhm... Heather Dudley said that. She does know that means she is aiding and abetting an attempted murderer, who is wanted by the FBI, you know for attempted murder, right?
The owners of National Novel Writing Month, have REFUSED TO COOPERATE with the FBI agents who were assigned to this case and are knowingly protecting (and therefore aiding and abetting) a known felon who is wanted for multiple counts of attempted murder.
Does she realize that by saying this, she has put out there a public statement saying NaNoWriMo supports building house bombs?
Does she realize that by saying this, she has put out there a public statement saying NaNoWriMo supports cutting cats heads off and nailing them to doors?
Does she realize that by saying this, she has put out there a public statement saying NaNoWriMo supports authors killing authors?
Does she realize that by saying this, she has put out there a public statement saying NaNoWriMo supports domestic terrorism and has pledged allegiance to the Loyal White Knights of The Ku Klux Klan?
Does she realize that by saying this, she has put out there a public statement saying NaNoWriMo supports stalkers, cyberbullies, and trolls?
I do have to wonder, does founder Chris Baty know his company is issuing public statements declaring their allegiance to white supremacy hate groups, specifically the Ku Klux Klan? Or that Heather Dudley is protecting a known terrorist by refusing to release Kendra Silvermander's identity to the FBI?
Are the Offices of Letters & Lights even aware of the fact that one of their employees, Kendra Silvermander, is a member of the Ku Klux Klan, is wanted by the FBI for 11 years of stalking, cyber-bullying, harassment, animal abuse, terrorist attacks, bomb building, and multiple murder attempts? And that their spokesperson Heather Dudley has issued a statement saying that the Offices of Letters & Lights supports Kendra Silvermander in her terrorist activities?
Have You Seen These Kidnapped Cats?
3 of the 15 Pidgie Fund Cats Have Been Murdered
2 Have Been Found & Returned
These 10 Are Still Missing
If You Know Where They are
Please Bring Them Home
If You Know Who Is
Holding Them Hostage
Please Call FBI Agent
@ (207) 774-9322
The Archived Contents of This Page:
(no longer updated below this point)
I joined NaNoWriMo in 2004, went on to become the first "overachiever" averaging 200,000 words in 30 days, instead of the average 50,000 words. Since 2006, I have been receiving on average 5,000 to 20,000 emails a week from fellow writers every October, November, and December, emails asking me how I did it and if I could advice them on what to do so they can write 200k instead of 50k in 30 days too.
In 2006 I wrote The 13 Step Method to Writing, in answer to their requests. In 2007 that was expanded to website known as "EelKat's Guide To NaNoWriMo", from their the advice column for writers (Ask EelKat) was created. Today there are more than 6,000 articles answering questions writers have, not only about NaNoWriMo but every aspect of writing and publishing in general and thus was born in 2013 EelKat.com the one stop database for every article I've ever written on writing. EelKat's Guide to NaNoWriMo is the series of articles that started it all, and here they are:
You are reading page #1 of EelKat's Guide to NaNoWriMo.
What is NaNoWriMo? A Quick History of the Event:
NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month, which occurs every November. When someone refers to "doing" NaNo or "winning" WriMo, they are referencing The National Novel Writing Month Novel Writing Competition.
In 1999 Chris Baty decided he wanted to write a novel, but knew from past experience that he lacked the motivation and would require a support team to keep him going. He next decided to give himself a time limit: write the novel from start to finish in 30 days. He next concluded that 30 days was only enough time to write a very short novel so set his goal to write a novel 50,000 words long, concluding that writing 1,667 words a day wouldn't be that hard. He contacted 10 people and asked them to sit in a cafe with him, everyday for 30 days until he had written a 50,000 word novel. Those 10 people decided there was no need for him to write alone and they each set out to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days too.
By the end of the month, the friends had each written the first drafts of their novels. They were not complete, they needed lots of editing, but the story itself was finished, start to end each of the friends had done what they had not thought possible: written the first draft of a novel in 30 days. When the group dispersed, they said to one another: "That was fun, let's do it again next year." And they did, but by 2000 each friend had told more friends and many more than 10 people joined for year 2.
By 2001 the idea of "Let's tell the whole country to write with us this time, let's give it a name. let's call it National Novel Writing Month" resulted in a little message board showing up online.
By 2004, 10,000 would-be novelists across America were logging in on that message board every November to write a 50,000 word novel. This was the year I joined NaNoWriMo. I was the first person to join, who was not "wanna-be-writer" looking to write a "first novel". By 2004 I had several books out, was the editor-in-chief of a publishing house, and also owned said publishing house.
In November 1, 2005 first day of the contest, the server crashed and National Novel Writing Month's message board was offline for more than two weeks; a side effect of 30,000 people all logging in at exactly mid-night (in spite of Hurricane Katrina, in fact many came to NaNoWriMo as a direct result of Katrina, people seeking to write novels for income to support their families now that they were homeless, jobless, and had a lot of free time to write daily). National Novel Writing Month's home crew (Chris Baty and his original ten friends) worked round the clock to build a brand new site and host it on a server large enough to handle 30,000 all logged in at the same time, and thus The NaNoWriMo Forums was born.
In 2006 the numbers rose to 90,000 writers, all of them asking questions about "How do I write a novel?", "How do I create characters?", "How can I possibly write 50,000 words in 30 days?", "After November is over, how do I edit this thing?", "Anyone know how to get it published?" Many returning members would answer these questions with "Ask EelKat, she'll know, she knows everything there is to know about writing and publishing." I answered more than a thousand questions that year (not simple two sentence answers - but answers each no less than 750 words long a few topping 2,000 words) AND I wrote 183,000 words of novel besides (becoming the first "Overachiever", and I did all while living under a 8x6' tarp that was by November buried under 6 feet of snow. By December 2006 the "Ask EelKat" advice column was born.
In 2007, more than 1,000 members set their goals to "try to beat EelKat", resulting in the creation of "The Rebels Forum" and "The Overachievers Thread". For the first time Wrimoers were aiming at goals higher than 50,000 words. I zipped past 50,000 on day 3 and ended the month beating my own record ending with 200,000 words of novel, in addition to the uncounted thousands of words of advice column answers for forum members.
From 2009 onward I have been The Official Script Frenzy Municipal Liaison for the Southern Maine, Saco Bay Region of National Novel Writing Month (Script Frenzy is a division of NaNoWriMo). What that means is I now work (volunteer - not paid) for NaNoWriMo on a local level running the script writing groups and get togethers and now not only do I help people online on the forums, but face to face in person at the following locations:
You can find me at any one of these locations advising writers one-on-one, editing novels, typing up answers to current "Ask EelKat" questions, or writing my own latest stories for The Twighlight Manor Series, not just during November and April, but all year long. If you are a writer needing help with your manuscript and you see The Dazzling Razzberry parked outside one of these locations, I'm there and you are welcomed to join me and ask for advice.
(UPDATE: February 2013: So sad to announce that Chris Baty retired, and also Script Frenzy has been canceled. Screnzy was far better than NaNoWriMo ever was, maybe that's because I write short stories and scripts more than novels? Sad. Very Sad. I will certainly miss Screnzy. Oh well, we are still holding the write ins, though Screnzy or no Screnzy! Yay! We don't need a contest to keep the local meetings going, so all the usual places [listed above] are still hosting write-ins, we just won't be writing for Screnzy anymore. And Camp NaNoWriMo will be going on in April now so, I just I can write a script for that instead?)
While I still hold the record for the most words written in 30 days, in the State of Maine (238,000 words), I lost the world record in 2009 when new member "Kateness" ended the month with a whopping 500,000 words (which was five 100,000 word novels). She beat her own record the following year when she set her goal to having "A Million Month", a dedication that had her going with fewer than 4 hours of sleep a day and typing steady, non-stop for 18 hours stretches at a time. At the end she vowed to never try anything like that again. Since than, several others have tried to beat her record, thousands make it to 200,000, a handful have made it to 300,000, but fewer than 10 are verified to have reached 500,000 words in 30days and only 3 are verified to have gone past that, reaching 800,000. (Verified by doing it live in front of witnesses, NOT verified by National Novel Writing Month Forums's online word count verification software; any body can claim any number on the forums, to beat a world or state record requires witnesses to be on hand to see you actually type the amount of words you claimed to have typed. NaNoWriMo calls it "The Luddite Clause")
In 2011, Chris Baty retired and The Office of Letters and Light took over as the new owners of NaNoWriMo.
November 1, 2012 broke a record with 300,000 people from all over the globe logging in at midnight, and for the first year ever the forums did not crash and go offline due to high traffic.
National Novel Writing Month estimates that on November 1, 2013 492,000 people will log in to start writing novels in what has gone down in history as the largest writing group in the world.
Linked below are the very first original advice article answers written for "Ask EelKat", (including The 13 Step Method to Writing) which were originally written as answers to NaNoWriMo forum post questions between 2004 and 2006.
UPDATE: November 2015: The page you are on now, was written in 2007 and updated every November until 2014 - It was last updated October 31, 2014 and there are no future updates planned for it, as after 10 years of doing it, I have retired from "traditional" NaNoWriMo and am now doing a different writing goal each November.
For the current NaNoWriMo 2015 update see THIS PAGE (which includes the first public release of my Dares Generator and information on how I use it to reach 50,000 words in 3 days instead of 30 days, along with info on how I reached 537,000 words in 2013 and thus changed my writing goals for NaNoWriMo.)
UPDATE: October 31, 2014 -
Due to a major hacking of my online accounts, and the theft and plagiarism of some 1,371 of my how-to articles for writers, I am now removing from public access MOST of my How To Guides for writers. They will return at a future date, but henceforth they will not be available for free. I'm tired of shit-head thieves stealing my work and passing it off as theirs. I'm sorry, to those of you who were not creeps and trolls, I know it's not fair to you, but, the hacking was done by a local person did a lot more damage than you know - the vandalism to my house and cars and the murders of my pets and death threats to my family, are not something I take lightly.
Until we can get to the bottom of this and get this jackass stalker out of my life, I am simply not able to leave my articles online, due to the court case that is now brewing over this. I am also leaving NaNoWriMo, because the local NaNoWriMo ML Kendra Silvermander is the cousin of the man doing the harassment, stalking, vandalism (which included blowing up my house with a grease fryer bomb) and has been not only stealing my how to guides and posting them on the NaNoWriMo forums as her own, but also shows up at local restaurants to threaten me and my family while we are trying to eat. I am utterly disgusted that NaNoWriMo allows a filthy, thieving, vandalizing, scum bag like this to continue to year after year, inciting anti-EelKat riot threads on the NaNoWriMo forum, while continuing to allow her to steal my articles off my web site and post them to NaNoWriMo's website as hers.
This article you are reading now, is one of the few, I have not taken down, it is however drastically shorted. My mega long 20,000 word how to articles are ALL removed now, with only and the ones that remain are stripped of most of the info, with only the barest minimum required to answer the reader question - in many cases the articles are 90% shorter then when they originally appeared, most now under 2,000 words instead of their 20,000 word originals.
Complete Index of
EelKat's Guide to NaNoWriMo
(Including The ORIGINAL 13 Steps To Writing Method)
MANY of these pages are changed to private viewing only now, and or have had most or all of the original content removed - see note above for reason why.
- EelKat's Guide To NaNoWriMo
- Why Write 50,000 Words In 30 Days?
- How Can I Possibly Write a Novel in 30 Days?
- Don't Quit!
- How long does it take to hit 1667 words? and 50k in one day - is it possible?
- Write Now - Edit Later
- Write it YOUR Way!
- What Is Word Padding?
- Word Padding & Why You Should Never Do It!
- More ways to write fast without word padding . . .
- After NaNoWriMo - Writing to Publish
- What I Did In 2006 - Reaching 50,000 using The 13 Step Method to Writing
- The Secret to Reaching Word Count Goals Without Using Word Padding - What I Did During National Novel Writing Month 2007
- NaNoWriMo 2008: 50k in 3 Days!
- Writing Tip: Have Fun!
- But, I want to finish a book I already started . . .
- Does writing a bunch of short stories count for National Novel Writing Month?
- Write What YOU Want To Write!
- Accepting Your Writing Style
- Writing Advice Doesn't Always Work
- What do You Look For in a Book?
- Creating Character Profiles
- Where Do You Get Your Ideas?
- What Genre is My Vampire Story?
- What Genre is My Mermaid Story?
- Does What You Read Effect What You Decide To Write? or What's on My Bookshelf . . .
- WHERE Should I write? Where do you feel you write more?
- Create Your Own Writer's Retreat
- I Want to Keep Writing December and Beyond: JaNoWriMo, FebNoWriMo, SeptNoWriMo, OctNoWriMo . . . ???
- Script Frenzy
- Narration for Writers
- Novel? Novella? Short Story? How Do I Know What Am I Writing?
- ABCs of Writing
- How to Become a Writer
- Are You a Renegade Writer?
- Creating a Fantasy World
- After NaNoWriMo: Editing your draft into a manuscript
- After National Novel Writing Month: Marketing Your Book
- After NaNoWriMo: Home Office, Town Zoning, and IRS Oh My! The Business Side of Being an Author
- My NaNoWriMo Journey: The answer the the oft asked question "So what exactly did you write during National Novel Writing Month?"
- How Long is 50,000 Words?
- Cliches To Avoid When Writing a Story
- What are the Benefits of NaNoWriMo?
- Is NaNoWriMo About Quantity Over Quality?
- How Do You Pick Which Story to Write?
- You too can NaNoWriMo like a pro