Due to the murder of my family and the resulting court cases, police investigations, and FBI investigations, I no longer have time to daily update this website.
Likewise ALL novel, short story, and article writing projects are on hiatus.
All book releases, book signings, workshops, and convention appearances for 2015 (and unknown amount of time after) are on hold while the murder investigation of my family is ongoing.
Writing advice for the worldbuilding, character creation, and other writing how to articles are on hold.
From now on, the bulk of updates here will be about the investigation into the murder of my family.
No, NOT just THIS author website, not JUST the EelKat pename, not just self published books: ALL 15 (fifteen) of my penames are on hiatus, that includes traditional published books as well, newspaper reporting jobs, editing jobs, my work for Harlequin Romance Novels, my work for Disney... EVERYTHING is on hiatus. Every publishing house I work for, every series I write, every penname I write under: they are ALL on hiatus, ALL projects.
There is NOTHING being published under ANY penname, not for ANY series, not for ANY publisher, from 2015 onward. EVERYTHING is on hold due to the murder of my family. I do not know when or even if, any of the projects will be restarted or finished.
Yes, BOTH the magazines I owned are indefinitely shut down because of this as well, with no plans for either magazine to return. The publishing house I own is also closed to submissions from now on, we will no longer be publishing anything. It is unlikely we will reopen the publishing house either.
All book signing tours, workshops, letures, PAX events, ComicCon events, carnival/festival/state fair/car show events are also canceled. I will not be attending ANY of them. If a venue still has my name listed as a guest/speaker/etc it is because they've not yet removed it. I WILL NOT be there, no matter where it is!
EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE, IS CANCELED!
The ONLY thing continuing from this point on, is THIS website, where I'll post updates on the murder investigation, hopefully every week, but, you know how it is when 10 members of your family are beheaded, it's kind of difficult to have a schedule for anything anymore.
Why are you so obsessed with Avallac'h?
Why are you so obsessed with Avallac'h?
Huh? I hadn't noticed.
I don't know. I've often asked that question myself. Of course, he's a shy Elf who refuses to be seen naked so doesn't take his clothes off during sex or when bathing (see image above) which is strange and eccentric behaviour that kind of says - this guy is a little bit insane isn't he? Which lead to my asking: How did he get like this? I must know.
The progression of events though?
Basically it started out my wanting to find out "Who is that guy with those awesome clothes?"
Then: "OMG! he's an Elf? I love Elves! And he's a wizard? I love wizards!"
And progressed to "Wait, Geralt says not to trust him? Why? I must know why. Is he evil? I love evil men. Is this guy an evil, Elf sorcerer? OMG! I love evil Elven sorcerers!"
And finally it reached a pointed of: "OMG! This guy's a sex crazed, perverted deviant. This guy is so freaking fucked up! How the hell did he get like this?"
And then... then I read the novels... oh boy! He's a total psychopath with women locked up in his dungeons of his palace. Uhm... you know me. I write freaking BDSM Monster Porn, fetish sex novels, and always with Elves in them, so,.... yeah.. Avallac'h was right up my ally.
Avallac'h's not that perverted in the game... but in the Witcher novels? That's another thing.
Which lead to: "OMG! He's a fetish sex freak with women in his dungeons and laboratories! It's an Elf Wizard straight out of 50 Shades of Grey! YAY! I want to be his prisoner. How do I sign up to be his prisoner?"
And, so, now, here we are with a Cult of Avallac'h.
Yes. I know. I do always fall for the most sick minded perverted bastard of every book, game, movie, and cartoon out there. It's what I do. Deal with it.
But getting to a much deeper reason. Avallac'h's entire backstory is built around one thing: his obsession to have a family, his frustration of being infertile and not being able to sire children, his devastation that his wife left him for someone much younger leaving him growing old alone with no one who loves him, and his fear of dying forever unloved and unwanted. He's outcast by his people, excommunicated by his religion, has watched everything and everyone he loved be killed and taken from him. He is crippled from being beaten and tortured by racists.
If you know me, my family, my history, what happened to us... you know finding out this info about Avallac'h hit a nerve for me. I know what it is, to be attacked, beaten, crippled, by racists. To have friends and family killed for nothing more then not being white enough, for not being Christian. A bomb blew up our house. And that just the beginning of 11 years of steady, daily, none stop hell. Not many people understand that. Especially not Americans who have no clue what it is like to live every day of your life in mortal terror, because your race, your religion, doesn't match what the local government says it must be.
Reading the novels, finding out what Avallac'h went through, what his own people did to him, why he's living on the run and why he's helping Ciri and why he's scared to talk to anyone, why he seems so cold and distant. Having lived with racism, on those kinds of levels, not words on social media, but my cousin having his head cut off, my cats having their heads cut off and nailed to my door. Racism that turns to extreem violence and cost you the lives of your friends and family, forces you out of your home... I've lived through that. I know how much it changes you.
We see Avallac'h early in the novels, hyper, happy, running around all yippie skippies, laughing, singing, dancing... and then we how much he changed after... resulting in the quiet, frightened, lurking in the shadows character we see in the game...
It gave his sex crazed, evil Sorcerer a second layer, one that drew me in as sympathetic to him, rather then hating him, as most readers do.
Avallac'h is not evil, he's hurt, he's hurt bad, and he's shutting down, and there's actually a real reason, behind his shifty, frightened, secretive actions in the game. He's scared for his life. He's traumatized so bad, he barely dares say a word. Doesn't know who he can trust any more. He's not trying to hurt anyone. He's just trying to survive. And that's quite different then being a pure evil villain.
Avallac'h is a fully fleshed out, multi faceted character with emotions and feelings, and a realistic and believable backstory that makes him sympathetic and identifiable.
What happened? What was in the novels that changed my feelings towards him after reading them? What drew me too him?
Let me think... the events in the order they happened...
- Avallac'h is an excessively emotional character who loved too much, with the wild animalistic obsessiveness that ended up driving his beloved Lara into the arms of another man, one with emotions that were not so deep or strong
- Believing she'd come back to him, once the short lived Human reached the end of his 60 years of life, Avallac'h was devastated when Lara was murdered 8 months after leaving him for the other.
- Avallac'h tries to save both Lara and her lover, but can only save their unborn baby
- Avallac'h tries to raise Lara's child, but fearing for his own life at the hands of his enraged people, he flees with the baby and takes it to live with her Human relations, then spends the next 200 years watching over, from afar, all of Lara's descendants
- Avallac'h tries to bury Lara and her lover in his family crypt but is met with opposition from the other Elves
- Avallac'h tries to bury Lara and her lover in Creeggan's family crypt, but is met with opposition from the humans
- Avallac'h flees with the corpses of Lara and her lover and bury them in an abandoned Elven temple in Velen, which he turns into his house, and lives in
- 200 years after Lara's death, Lara's 4th great-granddaughter Ciri is born, looks exactly like Lara AND possesses the same magic abilities for which an angry mob murdered Lara
- Fearing Ciri will be murdered the same way Lara was, Avallac'h sets out to obsessively watch over and protect her.
- Finding no friends among the Elves he seeks out the friendship of Witchers and Vampires, namely Geralt and Regis.
- Geralt is an unabashed Elf-hater and tells Avallac'h to his face Elves are nothing but no good pieces of shit, Regis disagrees, but sides with his old friend Geralt in saying Avallac'h can not be trusted simply because Sages in general are untrustworthy
- Avallac'h, being a psion and telepath, can see the future, sees Ciri's death, and tries to convince Geralt the girl must be protected. Geralt laughs at him and heads off to have boys night out with Dandelion, to hell with Ciri.
- Regis suggests he and Geralt teach the Elf a lesson for telling them Ciri would die, by smashing the gravestones of Lara's grave and dig up her corpse to desecrate it.
- Avallac'h having been told he's too emotional, too overbearing, not worthy of being loved, becomes suicidally depressed, stops talking, shuts down, and stops showing any outward emotions at all.
- Terrified Lara's grave will be destroyed he now spends the bulk of his days, sitting at Lara's grave, wishing he had the courage to kill himself, but fears he'll become a wraith if he dies without someone who loves him enough to bury him, so he becomes stoic and cold, fearing to show any emotions at all, because he now believes his over emotional behaviour is what caused everyone to hate him
- Avallac'h remains in this state of severe depression, until Ciri comes into his life and gives him a reason to want to live again
- Avallac'h has 2 brothers, Auberon and Ge'els, and an adopted son, Caranthir whom he raised since an infant, whom are his only surviving family and whom he loves very deeply.
- Eredin seduced Caranthir's power aidaled mind with talk of the glories of war, and Caranthir turns on his father to side with Eredin.
- Ciri runs into a portal and falls into Avallac'h's lap - literally. Lands on top of him, while he's sitting in a field playing a flute.
- Overjoyed at finally meeting Ciri, Avallac'h returns to his previous bubbly, giddy, happy, over emotional, chatterbox, ADHD super-hyper self.
- Ciri immediately notices the stars are wrong and Avallac'h explains she's landed in the distant future, on a planet in the opposite side of the universe from where her home is, and her planet was destroyed by the White Frost thousands of years ago.
- Avallac'h happily runs around dragging Ciri with him, showing her everything in his city.
- Avallac'h is a vegetarian, so doesn't eat Humans, like the other Elves of Tir ni Lia do, and takes her in, referring to Ciri as his pet, to protect her so that the other Elves won't kill her.
- Unicorns attack the city, and Avallac'h unleashes his brain shattering super-sonic scream, then grabs Ciri and flees (Yeah, that scream Ciri does in the game - it's Avallac'h does it in the books)
- Eredin rescues Avallac'h and Ciri from the Unicorns, then bullies Avallac'h and calls Ciri "a gold nugget from the dung heap."
- Avallac'h reveals he can not tell a lie, due to vows he took, as doing so would cause him to lose his powers. Thus why he evades answering questions, as he seeks to hide the truth, but literally incapable of telling a lie.
- Avallac'h is ridiculed and bullied by Eredin and the other Elves for his religious beliefs.
- Avallac'h is ridiculed and bullied by Eredin and the other Elves for being a liberal Human rights activist.
- Avallac'h is ridiculed and bullied by Eredin and the other Elves for being born the only white skinned Elf (Elves are black in the novels).
- Avallac'h becomes the laughing stock of Tir ni Lia, because he's babying a Human and treating her like an equal, treating her like an Elf.
- Ciri, who has below normal intelligence, (she's borderline clinically retarded in the books, thus why she acts more animal then human - dramatically different then she is in the game) has no ability to understand where she is, accuses Avallac'h of holding her prisoner, then proceeds to smash everything he owns.
- Avallac'h on the king's orders, tells Ciri she's to have a baby with the king, to reintroduce Elder Blood back into the royal family.
- Avallac'h's brother Auberon (Lara's father) takes Ciri away from Avallac'h, and nightly molests her.
- Ciri after several weeks of being sexualy abused by Auberon, attacks Avallac'h and rapes him.
- Avallac'h, deeply traumatized by being raped, and now terrified of Ciri, runs away from Ciri when he sees her, becomes severely agoraphobic, locks himself in his room, stops eating, stops talking, and refuses to set foot outside.
- Eredin uses the rape as a motive and frames Avallac'h for the murder of one brother, King Auberon, using Ciri as a tool to do so, claiming Avallac'h poisoned the king, to get back at him for the rape.
- Now that Auberon is dead and Avallac'h is free of the king's obsession with Elder Blood, Avallac'h destroys his work/research in Elder Blood and abandons his laboratories.
- With King Auberon dead, Eredin crowns himself king, and proceeds to bad mouth Avallac'h at every turn, utterly and completely destroying his reputation.
- Avallac'h's other brother, Viceroy Ge'els, enraged at the thought of one of his brothers killing the other, sics The Wild Hunt on Avallac'h and Ciri claiming they both plotted to murder Auberon together
- Avallac'h's devastation over the death of one brother and the other brother now hating him, is torn between siding with his family or siding with Ciri, whom he knows is innocent of Auberon's death
- Because the Sages are psions and see all, hear all, and know all, and therefore know the truth of who killed Auberon, Eredin has all the Sages mass murdered. Only the 2 most powerful ones forsee Eredin's plot and escape: one male (Avallac'h) and one female (Ida)
- Avallac'h is now a member of an endangered species as he is the last living male Aen Saevherne Elf
- Avallac'h helps Ciri escape Eredin, where she makes it to the Unicorns who take her back home
- 6 months later Eredin catches up with Ciri, and nearly kills her, but is stopped by Avallac'h, who once again whisks Ciri into a portal and flees with her
- Ciri now learns that Avallac'h, once a ruling nobel, and the court mage of King Auberon, has been striped of his titles, rank, and lands, has been imprisoned and tortured, was sentenced to death by his own brother but escaped execution, and is now considered a fugitive on the run from King Eredin and Viceroy Ge'els' mercenaries: The Wild Hunt
- The two live together, jumping planet to planet for 21 years, desperately fleeing the Wild Hunt, multiple times Avallac'h being captured and tortured because he stood in the way of the Hunt to give Ciri time to escape.
- Rumors that The Great Avallac'h, The Knowing One, the most powerful and most feared mage of the universe, has fallen from grace quickly spread throughout the multiverse, with him a criminal with a price on his head.
- Quickly too surface a devastating (for Avallac'h) rumor that his beloved Lara was not killed by either the Elves or Humans, but rather by Avallac'h himself.
- Avallac'h is now a wandering vagabond, simultaneously trying to prove his innocence to Ge'els, while trying to keep both himself and Ciri alive against all odds.
- Outcast from Elf society, he is shunned, beaten, and ridiculed by every Elf he meets.
- Being an Elf, he is abused, beaten, and harassed by every Human he meets.
- Terrified of both Humans and Elves, he takes to wearing a mask so no one can identify him.
- Eredin, seeing yet another way to destroy Avallac'h's life enlist's Avallac'h's son Caranthir to cast The Uma curse on Avallac'h, transforming him into a mute homunculus.
- The game picks up the story from there.
- Did I miss anything?
Avallac'h is a very sad character. We see him, very late in his life, now chasing after a young woman who looks exactly like the woman who left him. Driving himself to the brink of insanity, out of a desire to love and be loved in return. He's suicidal and deeply depressed, but can not kill himself, because he fears his soul will be lost because there is no one alive to bury him and mourn him.
I know the pain of loving someone very much and believing they loved you in return, only to grow old and have them leave for someone younger. It hurts. It hurts a lot. And THAT is ultimately the thing which endeared Avallac'h to me. Under his cold, cruel exterior, is a heart broken Elf screaming in pain for someone to love him.
I know what it is, to want a family, to never have children, to be cast out by my people, to be excommunicated by my church, to grow old and be left for someone younger, to now be a senior citizen alone, unwanted, forgotten, and unloved, left behind, abandoned by those I trusted, and you know my history, a bomb blew up my house, my cats heads were cut off and nailed to my door, I was beaten and left paralyzed for 5 months, took 18 month to relearn to walk, I'm crippled the rest of my life. I live in a region where hatred of my race and my religion, is met with extreme violence, murder, beheadings, bombs, and the law turns a blind eye, I live with racism every day, something most Americans couldn't even imagine exists in today's world.
I can sympathize with Avallac'h. I know how he feels. I know the sadness and frustration he lives with. He is a character whose backstory, near mirrors my own on so many levels. It was not possible for me to discover a character like him, and not feel a strong bond.
That's why Avallac'h.
Avallac'h was a very well made character. I understand his pain, for it is the same pain I live with.