How To Write Fairy Tales
Your first paragraph ...
Ads by Google
<<< Back To
EelKat's Guide to Writing Genre Fiction
Or Head To How To Write:
OSRIC Compatible RPGs
Poe-isk Tales of Terror
Satire & Dark Humor
Serial Pulp Fiction
For help in creating characters in genre fiction try:
EelKat's Guide to Character Creation
Most of the articles I write in response to reader questions are genre specific, making the genre section of this web site the largest section.
My areas of expertise are:
#1 Horror and all of it's subgenres esp Gorn, Tales of the Macabre (Poe style) and Gothic Romance.
#2 "Dark" (BDSM) Medieval Historical Erotica, esp gay M/M.
#3 Alternate reality speculative/weird/bizarre science fiction
#4 Dark/Gory/Slasher retellings of folklore, nursery rhymes, and fairy tales
On occasion I also write Westerns, WWII War Stories, and Dark Fantasy.
Everything I write tends to have predominately non-human characters, usually alien races of my own invention that are trapped on Earth, along side Fae races (usually Phookas, FarDarrig, and MerFolk) and monster races (Vampires and their kin.)
I do not write happy endings, villains tend to win, good guys usually die at the end, and most everything I write falls under heavy "Dark Gallows" satire focusing on taboo topics. Everything I write, even my children's fiction, walks on the Dark Side. Most of my non-children's books are M-rated for adults 21 and older. About 90% of my books have been banned and most book stores refuse to carry them.
My stories are often short, rarely longer than 35,000 words (7,000 to 13,000 word average). I write nearly as many stage plays as I do short stories. I also write children's books (early readers, why tales, bed time stories, picture books, and quick classroom play scripts.)
I do not write novels (novels are books of 90,000 or more words, most being in the 120,000 to 240,000 word range), so questions specifically regarding novels are going to be answered in reference to my novellas (a novella being a story 25,000 to 90,000 words).
I rarely write articles about any specific genre other than those listed in the link headings above, because the genres above are the genres I write.
Keep these facts in mind when asking advice from me, about your own writing career. I will gladly try to help you out, but my knowledge of writing is limited to what I know and write in my own career.
If you are looking for advice on Westerns, War Fiction (other than WWII), Fantasy, Contemporary Romance, Mystery, Action, Adventure, Suspense, Chick Lit, Romantic Comedy, Humor, HEA, etc I'm probably not the best person to be asking your questions to. You can certainly ask and I will try to answer, but I don't write these genres so they are not my area of expertise.
Recommended Books for Genre Writers:
Below are books I use as reference when writing my own books, articles, and short-stories. A quick heads up, these are not linking to pages where I review each book, here on my website! I have
a list of those review pages elsewhere . Each of the books shown below are linked directly to the site/book seller which carries it for sale, so clicking on any of the books below will take you away from my website.
The Dungeons & Dragons Articles:
Meet My D&D Player Characters:
Sadly I've not played in a D&D game group since I was beaten up at Southern Maine Community College (SMCC) November 14, 2013 and left paralyzed for 5 months, relearned to walk for 18 months, and am still now in 207 crippled and with very limited mobility. A 4 door white truck left the scene.
The FBI believes this attacker to be the same person who blew up my house with a bomb on October 18, 2006.
The 4-door white truck has Maine plate #: 1459 US.
More information can be found HERE and HERE and HERE and HERE.
If you know the driver of this truck, they are wanted for 2 counts of attempted murder, the bombing of my house, the kidnapping of my cats, the murder/beheading of my cousin, and more than 200 terrorist attacks on LGBTQ residents of Old Orchard Beach, Maine. Please give any information you have to the identity of this very dangerous criminal to:
@ (207) 774-9322
Top 50 Most Visited Pages
- Medieval Servants: Their jobs and their place in historical fiction.
- Amphibious Aliens: The Story of Etiole & The World's Most Haunted Car
- On being a handicapped CosPlayer at PortCon Maine 2017
- Flamboyant Nipples: The KKK's New Gay Hating Site About Old Orchard Beach
- The GoldenEagle: An Auto-biography of the World's Most Haunted Car
- How Long is 50,000 Words?
- Writing Mute Characters
- Autism, Asperger, PTSD, & Mad Cow: What is wrong with Quaraun? (Writing A Clinically Insane Character Accurately)
- Writing Dares Random Generator
- Stephen King's The Thinner and The Gypsies Of Old Orchard Beach, Maine
- The Saco River Curse
- Don't put flyers on people's cars...
- Our Primary Site Topic Is Small Penis? Reaching #1 on Page 1 of Google.
- Why Crude Adult Comedy and Pink Humor Yaoi Is Not Erotica
- Quaraun Free To Read Online Complete Chapter Index In Chronological Order
- Albino Races - Moon Elves In The Quaraun Series
- Help FBI End Anti-Gay White Power Terrorist Attacks of Old Orchard Beach
- Autism, Asperger's, And The Danger of The Self-Diagnosis
- 600 Pages: Epic Big Super Sized Novels and Why You Should Never Write One
- The Jiggler & The G-String Teddy Bears | The Adventures of Quaraun The Insane
- Spell Casting Side Effects: Magic In Quaraun's Universe | Author Interview
- Necromancy: Fact Vs Fiction; Or How Can You Be A Necromancer In Real Life?
- The Dazzling Razzberry aka EelKat's Autism Awareness Car
- The Gypsies of Old Orchard Beach - page 1 (Online Release of Banned Book)
- Markiplier Jacksepticeye and Pewdiepie Play Resident Evil 7
- What Type of Music Does A Gypsy Listen To? My Top 10 Favorite Bands
- World's Most Haunted Car Merchandise
- Is It a Novel, a Novella, a Short Story or Something Else?
- I Am Not GhoulSpawn | Excerpt From Rose Garden of The Pink Necromancer
- BoomFuzzy Chapter 1 (Novel Excerpt - Quaraun The Insane)
- Psychedelics In A 'High' High Fantasy World (High Elves Getting High)
- World-building In The Quaraun Series: Creating a Fantasy World
- City of The Slushies | Chapter 7 | Quaraun The Insane
- How to Handle Writing Fantasy-Horror That Features Violence Against Children
- How To Write A Stage Play Script Frenzy 2010 Writing Dialogue
- Quaraun GhoulSpawn and The Lich Lord's Lover: The Lover's Triangle
- An Elf Gone Mad: The Rise of The Pink Necromancer
- A Field of Poppies On The Road To Witch Pond | Summoner of Darkness
- The Banshee Sisters: Bean-Nighe and Ben-Neeyah In the Swamp of Death
- Amphibious Aliens: My health since the stroke and Etiole . . .
- Beware of White Men In Gypsy Clothing: Fake Psychic Scams
- Online Income: The Reality vs The Fantasy
- OtherKin: My 30th Anniversary of Being Transgender
- Autism and the Stigmas - Why Can’t You Accept Me As Me?
- Old Orchard Beach Hate Crimes
- Suicide, Rape, and Abuse In The Quaraun Series
- Writing Racist Characters VS The Ku Klux Klan In Old Orchard Beach, Maine
- A Gallery of Fetish Shoes
- Custom Leggings - Designs By EelKat
- EGL: Elegant Gothic Lolita
Where to get ideas
- Story Prompts & Writing Dares
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas (Where Do You Get Them?)
- Daily Writing Prompts June 2017
On Writing The Quaraun Series
The Quaraun Series On Amazon:
I am wondering why has Amazon moved the Quaraun books to the category "Transgender Romance" and also "Gay Erotica"? The base story is a deeply depressed, suicidal, drug addict Elf who's lover commit suicide and he's trying not to do the same. It's an old Elf in a tavern, monologuing a lot of flashbacks and back story scenes of his youth. These stories are dark, bloody, angsty, full of drug use, murder, rape, Medieval torture, mental/physical/emotional abuse, and references to depression and suicide - no romance in it, unless you count the occasional (and usually brutally violent) rape scenes that show up in nearly every volume - sorry - no clue what Amazon is thinking or why they moved these to Romance and Erotica, but these books are NOT even close to being Romance or Erotica on any level at all. When I published these books I put them in "Dark Fantasy" and "Yaoi". If they show up in any category other then "Dark Fantasy" and "Yaoi", it's because Amazon put them there without my authorization or approval.